Axis Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis Hunt

Just got back from Axis hunt near Uvalde. Four of us on this trip.

Impatiently waiting on my ride

On the road

Getting close
    Made it!! Beautiful view from camp!
    Let’s get this going.
    We got there Thursday afternoon. We offload and get to hunting. Plan is to drive some to get lay of the land and then setup in brush blinds for evening sit.
    Not 10 min into driving we come to push gate where there’s a water trough. And there he is. Catches us in his view and this buck is slowly walking away. Guide says he’ll pull up to another crossing where I’ll jump out of truck and setup. Hoping to intercept him and get a shot. Everything seems perfect. There are whitetails feeding in front of me and then slowly an axis doe comes out of the brush to the feed. I’m positive this is the doe the axis buck had w/him at the water. Just a matter of time before he steps out. I’m down prone behind my rifle. I see a glimpse of spots moving way out on the edge in the thick cover. No shot..rest of my time I sit I just see wt.
    My other two buddies see axis, but no shooter bucks. My brother Jr, had never seen axis on the hoove.. he was treated to a show. Seeing well over 60 axis. Atleast 4-5 shooters(we would hear at camp). WTH man!! Lay one down!! He’s like “I don’t know, I was like in a daze. Never having seen an Axis in my life I’m just thinking with this. I can be very selective”. We are all like SMH, No! This is free range man get you a shot at a good one! Guides didn’t find it nearly as funny, lol.
    Well after nearly having 2 bucks down first evening, my next morning was slow. Other guys saw frostbite bucks and does. Jr saw young bucks and does. Nothing killed except cold beverages.

So after morning hunt, riding back in buggy. Guide and I talking Guns and such. I tell him about a 300 savage I brought as backup gun or if I killed early, I could use to shoot pigs. He was pumped and said. I can put you in this spot where pigs come but axis also come into feed. I’m like let’s do it. So that evening sit. I get wt come in . Then 5 pigs. And there towards dusk. I spot an axis doe coming through brush. And rt behind her a nice buck. I quickly setup on sticks, shot is about 120. Solid rest, squeeze trigger. Shot felt good but I hear no impact. This rifle is suppressed so I’m thinking that’s it. In the excitement I didn’t hear it. I put another round and look for my target. Buck is standing under a tree at about 60 yds. I’ve got him squeeze. Click. I didn’t cycle out all the way on the lever action. I cycle spent one and chamber a round. He’s gone aways spot him at close to 300 off hand. I shouldn’t even tried that shot. Anyhow he runs off full sprint. I’m dejected not knowing wth happened. Later at dark I spot a lone pig come by at 46 yds I miss. No way!! This rifle is off sum bish!!
    Back at camp frustration gives way to elation!! My lil bro has a buck hanging!!!

Very happy hunter!!
    Next morning Jr. sleeps in as it went long skinning and quartering etc. He’ll have breakfast ready when we get back. I decide to go back to same spot, but this time w/my trusty 7mag. Jason is taken on a nice hike where he’s presented w/a nice buck but shot is over 300 yds on sticks. He passed, as he didn’t feel comfortable at that range on sticks. My other buddy has another frostbit buck and does. I have a roar directly behind me. Just about ****e!! I instantly drop down prone on my rifle, I don’t know how far or where he is. I find movement for a second and see he’s a decent buck. But he’s walking directly down a tree line. No shot present. Then he stops behind trees before an opening I need him to be in. The wind is bad blowing almost directly to him. Then about same time I hear feed truck coming to put some out in front of me. I don’t know if it’s my scent or the sound of the truck, but buck does 180!and walks down same tree line. Ughhh!! Are you kidding me. After that not much action. Head to camp and had awesome breakfast chef Jr. hooked up.
    That afternoon we asked guide about jumping in some water for some relaxation and relief of the heat.

Life is good rt here!!

Last evening hunt. Riding in the buggy we spot a herd of axis going thrust creek bottom uphill. Bunch of does go through, I’m on sticks. Buck has got to come by. Never see him. Cut around uphill going parallel to where we think they are heading. We don’t see them again. Continue hiking up hills get to vantage point. Guide tells me glass here, I’m headed for buggy. Tell him to grab my pack and water. Im parched, but worst then that. There’s a rumbling…oh no.. let’s just leave at my tube socks, didn’t come back tube socks.
    Guide makes it back w/water and news of having spotted axis down below us. Make our way there to glass and we see 3 bucks, two young, one maybe last day buck. We decide we’ll make a play for him. When we get down to the bottom bucks aren’t there. So we sit to see what happens. See wt, then pigs but no axis. Then guide spots a couple of does. And then more filing out. A good buck steps out and we make our way to close the gap. Pig and doe obstacles the whole way through. Manage to get to a point for a shot. 30 Axis feeding, I setup an ask which one. I see a rack go straight up and then I say never mind I see him hahahaha. He’s facing directly away and covered up by does, then he moves and a smaller buck is covering him. Finally after about what seems like for ever he is feeding head down and the other animals give space on each end of him. Picks his head as he stands broad side for just a second. Squeeze trigger on the 7 mag. Shot is true and directly to the heart. He takes a few steps and is down!!! Shot was 236yds.

What an outstanding Hunt!!

Oh this late night visitor was also a victim, lol

We headed out after Sunday morning hunt. Making our way home, we stopped off for late Lunch at Krewe’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done congrats

Comment

Wow looks like a great trip, thanks for the great recap!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for taking us along!!!

Comment

well done

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt.

Comment

Good hunt. Had fun killed a few critters and strengthened bonds. Congrats all around.

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt!

Comment

Congratulations NotJose!

Comment

Excellent write up and congrats.

Comment

What a fun hunt! Awesome guides and great friends. Nice write up Bro.

Comment

Awesome hunt congrats!

Comment

That was awesome. Great bucks. Sorry about the tube socks!

Comment

Congrats. Looks like a great time. Can you tell us the name of the place you hunted?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Congrats. Looks like a great time. Can you tell us the name of the place you hunted?

It was a small operation. No name really

Comment

Working...
                              X