Pandemic investing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pandemic investing.

Well... here we are about 18 months into this thing, and it looks to me like most of the stocks that crashed, have gained back about 70-80% of their pandemic losses.

I'm totally clueless when it comes to the stock market, and even I made a 200% gain in a year. I don't think that is the norm.

My theory is, we'll start seeing these pandemics about every 10 or 12 years. Money being the driving force.

I hope I can time the next one right, but with my luck I'm afraid I'll lose my ***.

All I can say, don’t try to time the market as you typically will lose.

Personally autodraft into 401k, IRA, 529s and index funds and try not to watch it.

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
    Well... here we are about 18 months into this thing, and it looks to me like most of the stocks that crashed, have gained back about 70-80% of their pandemic losses.

I'm totally clueless when it comes to the stock market, and even I made a 200% gain in a year. I don't think that is the norm.

My theory is, we'll start seeing these pandemics about every 10 or 12 years. Money being the driving force.

I hope I can time the next one right, but with my luck I'm afraid I'll lose my ***.

Comment

I only deal in mutual but this has worked for me several times. When the market takes a dive I try to double down on just a couple of funds that have a good longterm history.

Comment

yes its pretty amazing the drastic drop off that most every stock had at the end of Feb and first 2 weeks of March.

I remember buying about $4,000 worth of stuff from the Home Goods store in New Braunfels and thinking to myself I bet this place has a great year. I joke now and say that the stuff that I bought actually cost about $70,000 because that is what I would have made if I had bought their stock instead of their "stuff".

Comment

I agree, it's a long-term game. If you want, you can set aside a couple thousands bucks to invest when the market drops, but timing the market is difficult.

Comment

Op I wish you well in your endeavors of investing. It’s a difficult task to time the market imho.
            That being said, I know a few individuals that thought they were smarter than most on timing the market. These individuals are still working and trying to recover from their lifetime savings that they lost for being so smart. Definitely a sad situation for some of them, others were just stupid.

Comment

I tell you this I got a crap load of PENN (Penn National Gaming, Inc) around $15 a share(it was down to $8 a share in March 2020)I got in April. It top out at $136 in March 2021.

Comment

If you invested in just about anything in April/ may your prob up close to 100% if not more. The stock market is fake IMO. Absolutely no way the Dow should be as high as it is. No clue how anyone could time anything with major movement. I just invest and let it ride. If anyone is trying to make a quick buck in the stock market you’ll get burned eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                  Op I wish you well in your endeavors of investing. It’s a difficult task to time the market imho.
                  That being said, I know a few individuals that thought they were smarter than most on timing the market. These individuals are still working and trying to recover from their lifetime savings that they lost for being so smart. Definitely a sad situation for some of them, others were just stupid.
                  I'm not a investor by any stretch of the imagination. My timing is off on everything.

My point in the post was to see if people think that part of this pandemic and the economic catastrophes that followed it, will be something that we need to look out for in the future.

Seems like it would be really easy to fabricated another economic pandemic.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not a investor by any stretch of the imagination. My timing is off on everything.

My point in the post was to see if people think that part of this pandemic and the economic catastrophes that followed it, will be something that we need to look out for in the future.

There’s no end to economic ponzie schemes , in 2008 it was real estate Derivative (https://www.investopedia.com/article...derivative.asp)
                    The investment firms have a million ways to skin a cat and to hedge the long game with complexities

Comment

Who knows. Can’t predict the future. Administration changes, economic cycles, new technology, & now pandemic, etc…
                      Heck who would of ever thought we see this high of unemployment rate & at the same time record # of job openings.
                      I agree with most above…long term focus on the market as it always recovers & im with the guy who said index funds. Vanguard has some that have performed really well at low expense ratios
                      Good luck

Comment

How do you figure that?

I am confused by the term, "economic pandemic."

Comment

I threw some extra money I had into a couple stocks a year ago figuring I'd lose it all...wish I would have thrown everything I had in!!!haha I've doubled my money with 2 stocks and one of them still has lots of growth to go. This was my 1st (and probably last) real venture into the stockmarket, I'm usually a safe Roth IRA kinda guy!ha

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            How do you figure that?

I am confused by the term, "economic pandemic."
                            Well... I guess I confused a few with this post. I was never asking for investment advice.

The title "pandemic investing" and the terrm, economic pandemic was a attempt to state my opinion on what I think we will see in the coming years, and to see what everyone else thought.

Market manipulation by those that would do just about anything too make a buck, just seams way to easy now.

Comment

Market manipulation by those that would do just about anything too make a buck, just seams way to easy now.

I agree 100%! Been saying the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X