Timbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timbers

The timbers today at Home Depot or Lowes have not lasted long. ROT Away. Where do you buy the lasting timbers that are 4 1/2 X 4 1/2 inches thick? I need 20 plus. Or what do you treat the timbers to last longer?

Try railroad ties if you can? They last longer

Comment

yeah, lumber isn't what it once was.
      I have some projects in the making and am thinking about just buying the timbers from a somewhat local sawmill.
      i'm looking at a place in Orange Tx; Rogers Lumber Co. they seem to have a good selection... not sure of pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
        yeah, lumber isn't what it once was.
        I have some projects in the making and am thinking about just buying the timbers from a somewhat local sawmill.
        i'm looking at a place in Orange Tx; Rogers Lumber Co. they seem to have a good selection... not sure of pricing.
        edit: if you are going to put them in the ground (as I am) I just paint the butt end with roofing tar as far as they will be in the ground +6", has worked for me for about 20 yrs with no problems.

Comment

I have bought from Roger's before, but it has been a while. I really liked that their boards are true to measurement and not planed down (a 2*4 is really 2 inches by 4 inches).

The problem is it is all fresh cut pine. It is not dried at all. Before use you would do well to sticker it and let it dry for a few months if possible. It is also all untreated. Using it for ground contact would not last long.

I built my backyard shop from it from post and beam construction plans. All except for the runners I put it on, those are true treated timbers.

Tim

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Well, old wooden sailboat builders used to flood the hull with copper sulfates, put a "tent" over it, and setup a spray system to wet all areas.

Comment

I have been milling utility poles for a while now, both copper sulfate (blonde) and creosote. They are great for all kinds of projects.

Comment

Working...
                X