Deer lease around Davy Crockett Forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer lease around Davy Crockett Forest

I’ve been thinking about making a move from hunting Edwards County to the area around the Davy Crockett National Forest. The drive is the reason. I would go from 6 hours to 2 1/2 hours. I know the deer quality would be better but may not have as many. Those that hunt this area what is your thoughts and suggestions on deer leases? What areas are better? Where to look for leases? Thanks for the help.

Thats public hunting and sounds like a war zone. Tons of rookies stomping around and walking all over the place, not to mention how dangerous that is. Plus as you said, deer quality is bad. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
      Thats public hunting and sounds like a war zone. Tons of rookies stomping around and walking all over the place, not to mention how dangerous that is. Plus as you said, deer quality is bad. Just my opinion.
      Incorrect...he said the quantity wouldn't be as good. The quality is there in that neck of the woods. They just aren't around every bend in the road, and as a general rule they don't step up to a feeder in daylight hours. I would love to have some acreage close to the DCNF

Comment

Incorrect- how can the quality b good with rookies all over the place shooting everything that walks?

Comment

Lmao. Lots of huge deer in that area along with the Angelina forest and Sabine. Deer density numbers will be lower but quality is outstanding in certain places! There are huge deer killed in that area yearly
          Last edited by hogslayer78; 05-31-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Don’t do it

Comment

I’ve never hunted edwards but have been almost everywhere else in the state. IMO I prefer Davy Crockett area almost over anywhere else in the state besides north Texas. Lease is most likely gonna be cheaper there, feed bill will be cheaper and there’s not many things that compare to hunting in those big trees

Comment

Incorrect- how can the quality b good with rookies all over the place shooting everything that walks?
                They also might be carrying a pistol without an LTC you better stay away from there....

Comment

I heard and seen some nice deer come from the area. I know there’s has to be some private property leases near or next to the forest and that’s where i want to be I understand the problems with public hunting but not wanting to do the public hunting. That’s a huge forest. I’m ready for new scenery and closer to the casa.

Comment

Maybe you should take a look at Gar Guy’s trophy room and the pile of antlers that didn’t make it to the wall before you start giving advice.

Comment

Private land adjoining DCNF is no longer a well kept secret. Extremely hard to find and expensive. Some giant deer but crazy hard to kill.

Comment

Thanks for the info. PM if you have suggestions on where to start looking for leases.

Comment

Originally posted by chicken fried View Post
                          Thanks for the info. PM if you have suggestions on where to start looking for leases.
                          You might drop by the feed stores and put up a bulletin. I live here and know almost all the land owners. I know of nothing available. Really been a rush the past 5 years.

It may be really frustrating your first couple of years. Hunting is drastically different.

Comment

Thanks for the advice GarGuy. I’m in no hurry. I need to get up there and do that.

Comment

Originally posted by chicken fried View Post
                              Thanks for the advice GarGuy. I’m in no hurry. I need to get up there and do that.
                              If you want find a place for next year, might start now. Like I said... the well kept secrets out.

Comment

Working...
                              X