Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the least acreage property you would high fence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the least acreage property you would high fence?

I ask because our owner high fenced our place....its gonna be our last year for awhile...then I am sure we will have to pay up...

Its only 150 acres, and he spent a fortune on the fence....and 3 acre pond

lots of variables for me primarily the cover type, but 150 acres would not be even close.

Comment

A section

Comment

Depends on what you want to do with it. Family hunting would be different than pay-for-play IMO.

Comment

Have no problem fencing 150 acres for personal use—watching deer and exotics. I doubt he will want to continue leasing it, but you never know. Good luck.

Comment

a thousand seems like a good place to start, depending on cover and terrain it may need to be bigger.

Comment

A co-worker high fenced 80 acres. He has whitetail, axis, and red stag. He's been trying for 3 years to get rid of the stags, but can never find them. He says they get in the thickets and are never seen.

Seems small, but for personal use I suppose it's enough.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                A co-worker high fenced 80 acres. He has whitetail, axis, and red stag. He's been trying for 3 years to get rid of the stags, but can never find them. He says they get in the thickets and are never seen.

See if he'll let us "get rid of them" I bet we could find a few stags on 80 acres pretty quick.....

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post

sounds like he's not THAT worried about getting rid of them.

Comment

its pretty amazing what deer can hide it, it also has alot to do with how you hunt them

On a smaller high fenced place do not use trail cameras, timed feeders, and/or corn roads and you will be surprised what a difference in hunting that makes.

Comment

I wouldn't high fence a property. But IMO you need well over 500 before I start considering it "hunting", and well over 1000 before I consider it hunting. My buddy has 40 acres high fenced and a bunch of ridiculous deer on it. It takes about 5 minutes on a side by side to locate and see them all.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                        ...My buddy has 40 acres high fenced and a bunch of ridiculous deer on it. It takes about 5 minutes on a side by side to locate and see them all.
                        That's just a zoo.

Comment

Depends on what reasons your doing it for. To each their own.

Comment

Never mind the aspect of limited genetics on such a small place.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              A section

That’s 640 acres for those who don’t know.

I’ve hunted a 300 acres HF place and it got small quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X