Why did the deer go onto the ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did the deer go onto the ice?

Found this yesterday at our pond, wonder if it was chased or thirsty? Could see several sets of tracks on the ice but could not tell what they were, tracks in the snow were not much better.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	25242676

Yikes

Comment

I thought this was gonna be like "why did the chicken cross the road?" Not quite.

Comment

We lost a baby calf the same way this week. By the time they get too far out there, its too late.

Comment

Probably just don't know...Lakes don't freeze that often around here to be in there learning curve...my guess

Comment

My dogs did not hesitate to walk right across the frozen pond. Really surprised and scared me. But it was weird they acted like it had always been that way.

Comment

Nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                My dogs did not hesitate to walk right across the frozen pond. Really surprised and scared me. But it was weird they acted like it had always been that way.
                I had to keep an eye on my lab and the pool. Its like she was curios and wanted to know what happened to her pool.

Comment

On Tuesday I found two blackbuck does dead in our pond when it just started to freeze over. Checked fence line and no coyotes were in

Comment

That is a bummer Gary

Comment

Thirty. They have to drink to digest their food to stay warm all the water was frozen for 4 days here. We had to break ice for cattle to drink

Comment

My dog decided to run out in the middle of a frozen pond and fell through. It was 13 degrees and I tried several things to help him, including breaking the ice and walking in up to my waste. It got deep too quick and I had to turn around I was pretty sure I was watching him pass as he was starting to lose mobility. Then I remembered a sledge hammer in the truck. I tied a rope to it and slid it out to him. It fell in the hole and I pulled it back to me. He followed the path of broken ice made by the sledge and made it back to shore. He was shaking uncontrollably but once we got him warmed up he was good. Man, what a scare

Comment

This dummy got me pretty cold the other afternoon.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
                            My dog decided to run out in the middle of a frozen pond and fell through. It was 13 degrees and I tried several things to help him, including breaking the ice and walking in up to my waste. It got deep too quick and I had to turn around I was pretty sure I was watching him pass as he was starting to lose mobility. Then I remembered a sledge hammer in the truck. I tied a rope to it and slid it out to him. It fell in the hole and I pulled it back to me. He followed the path of broken ice made by the sledge and made it back to shore. He was shaking uncontrollably but once we got him warmed up he was good. Man, what a scare
                            Wow, a close call. Glad you were able to save him.

Comment

Probably needing water, dehydration would be pretty bad in this weather and no way to hydrate so they move to the available water. Just a guess but it seems plausible

Comment

Working...
                              X