Oil changes and dealerships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
    Our new car came with 3 years free service. I forced them to change the oil at 3K miles and it cost $235.00.
    Now it is 10K miles between free changes..................
    It probably said that on the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
      How fast?
      Typically 30-45mins. I usually go after work as my day was already shot by working sooooooo

Comment

just depends on the shop-- there are bad shops and good ones. ive always used the quick lube places, but i always make it a point to stand outside in front of the vehicle and watch them the whole time...it makes a difference (i think)
        my worst experience was with a quick lube i think on dairy ashford... a guy asked me if i wanted him to "spray this in my carborator to clean it out" -- it was gumout carb cleaner. i let him, then found out they charged me $75 for a
        "carb tune up" -- i flipped out and caused a pretty big scene. my best experience was at a EZlube at hwy 99 and hyw 59-- those guys had it together--they were all over my truck and done in like 15 min and they even vaccummed it out and cleaned the windows and windshield. i think they charged 59.00
        i was impressed- and i let them know before i left.

Comment

Took my truck to a dealer to get the trans fluid changed, kid comes to waiting room to tell me my drain plug is stripped out. Only one person has ever touched that plug & that was the dealer that did the first fluid change. I told him it's never been touched & somehow magically it wasn't a problem. Get the truck home & get a puddle under it because the pan is leaking & not from the plug, took it back & no mention of the "stripped" plug, they put a new gasket on the pan & solved the problem. I trust dealers about as far as I can throw them.

Comment

Wow, $400 for an oil change is not only high, it’s obscene. Is the oil change part of scheduled maintenance or do you pay $400 just for an oil change?

Either way, I’ve been told that when you own a luxury vehicle it’s best to get all work done at the dealership. First, the technicians who work there are all certified in their areas of specialty; second, any work done outside the dealership can void your warranty. Also, if you’re taking your car in for a problem, dealerships are more motivated to “get it right” when they fix it, generally being willing to comp additional work when they don’t get it right the first time (which is rare). And finally, when the time comes to resell your car or trade it in, those with maintenance records from dealerships are more highly valued than those with maintenance records from various or other repair centers.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
              I will only use dealership or do it myself. My run in's with kwik oil changes places have been commical.

"sir, your drain plug is dirty, we need to replace it" Looked at the guy, said clean the **** thing and re install.

Had transmission fluid changed in my tundra, its very specific to how the process is done. Was 5 quarts low and slipping bad, took it to dealer and sent them the bill.
              ??? Sent who the bill??? Why??? They they (whoever) pay it? I bet not.

Comment

You bet wrong, we had a fleet account when said Kwik car. Toyota dealership wrote out a letter stating the trans was 5 quarts low, they had a check to me end of day for the mistake.

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                ??? Sent who the bill??? Why??? They they (whoever) pay it? I bet not.

Comment

If you can afford a $90K+ vehicle you can afford 12mpg and $400oil changes. I personally
                  Support going to the dealership. Pay those guys/gals. When it breaks down (it will) the dealership will be apt to assist you. They also have the ability fix the screw up as jiffy lube can't....

Comment

Quit changing my own a few years ago but recently took it back up again. Local place was charging $90 for Mobil 1 and Wix. Figured out I could do it at home for under $40, I have all the tools and need to show the boys how anyway. It was a relaxing time. Don’t see myself going back to an oil change place again anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X