Guiding the Youth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guiding the Youth

Been letting youths hunt my land for hogs. First timers. My family was in town from Florida and I told my cousin Id put her 11 year old on a hog. Didnt think hed get a trophy but he did.

Ar10 in .308. NV with upgraded IR. Pop up over feeder. Put father and son in blind, talk dad through it and head back to camp for fans, cold beer and a hammock. My type of guiding haha. Led them in around 1925hrs and figure a sounder will show by 2045-2100hrs. Look at my clock and its 2120, ****. Not going down like clockwork. 2140hrs roll around and BOOM. Text confirms he got one. I tell them to look for blood and Im otw. Get down there, no hog and no blood. Dad thinks 75 pounds and he went left. No blood trails that direction. Keep circling and nothing. I look for running prints and find them leading to a game trail. Blood within 50 yds. 200 yds of heavier and heavier blood. By the amount of blood and height on wild oats I know he is bigger than 75. We are led to the fence line. My heart sinks for this kid as I start to think the shot might have been not the best. I shine my light over the fence and 10 yds into pasture sits a dead mammoth boar. Me and his dad drag him back onto my land. Est 200 plus pounds. We each need a hoof to drag him. 200 yd drag through thick forest to trail, his size, and fact that they cant fly the meat home we decide to take his head for a Euro. I love seeing kids bag their first fish or game animal.

Oh, he put the round right through the flesh just back of the front shoulder. Pass through vitals.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ætheling; 07-08-2021, 03:44 PM.

Good job by all !

Comment

Heck yeah! Congrats!

Comment

Awesome, contrast!

Comment

That stuff is the best! There is nothing like watching a kiddo be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well done

Comment

I hope that kid goes back to school and tells the story of the 400lber that almost got away. Man that is a great story and congrats to the young man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

LOVE this. Teaching the next generation. Makes my heart swell.

Comment

These are the opportunities I unfortunetly missed out on as a kid and had to create them for myself as an adult...im glad to see this sort of thing does exist...great gesture of you....gonna change that kids life forever...

Comment

Awesome.

I used to do a kid hunt every year at our place. No rules except to have fun and shoot whatever they wanted. Was the best to see these kids get their first deer.

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
                      These are the opportunities I unfortunetly missed out on as a kid and had to create them for myself as an adult...im glad to see this sort of thing does exist...great gesture of you....gonna change that kids life forever...
                      My dad was a fisherman and a marksman but not much into hunting. I got into it myself in my 30s with my only learning coming from asking questions right here. 7 years later and Im confident I can walk onto any property and have a high chance of success. Ive only hunted small private tracts but with what Ive learned here I have taken many free range wild animals off property most people would laugh at haha.

Definitely appreciate the fact my dad took us to the woods often.
                      Last edited by Ætheling; 07-09-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Awesome job all the way around!!!

Getting the kids involved is important and I'm glad to see you're doing it.

Comment

Working...
                        X