Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you protect your sensitive electronics from a generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hooked up my generator yesterday to test everything and smoked my cable box and Keurig coffee maker. Thank goodness it wasn’t anything more expensive!
    What have y’all done to keep this from happening? I don’t know what I can do or what I shouldn’t run on the generator.
    I’m not for sure what to unplug next time so I’m not smoking it!

Inverter generator is what you need.

Comment

I have owned 3 generators in the last 15 years and never smoked anything.

Get rid of it..............................

Comment

I'd have the voltage regulator checked out.

About 12 years ago mu old boss who lives in Michigan. He has an automatic whole home standby generator.
        He was in his shop with a buddy when he lost power. The generator started like it was supposed too.
        They could see dancing lights coming from his office upstairs. He went up to check it out. The surge protector and his laptop were on fire.
        While he was putting that out he had his buddy kill the generator.
        I think I took out a couple bof appliances in the house as well.

Comment

Surging as a new load is being applied is the problem. Inverter generators where designed for using sensitive equipment. Could happen if you run out of gas as well.

Comment

What kind of gen and do you have any more information on the hook-up?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
              Yep, you can even run computers and the most sensitive electronics off of them.

Comment

It’s a Guardian 17500watt by Generac model 004583-0

Comment

I’m going to check the out put voltage and see if it’s high. It didn’t mess anything else up weird?

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                    This is what I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                      It’s a Guardian 17500watt by Generac model 004583-0

What did the manufacturer’s technical support guys say was the problem?

What happened to the cable box and coffee maker? Ceased to work after? Are they on the same branch circuit (same breaker in your panel)? Was there anything else on those circuits affected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Bill; 07-04-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

You could look at power conditioners, but they are VERY expensive in that size.

I would think looking into your AVR would be the first place to start.

Comment

I’m not an expert, but let me add 2 things.

The quality of the 60 hertz sine wave from your generator is determined by the electronics in the generator. I don’t know if you can post- process it. I have a surge protector on my stereo and tv. I don’t think they would help.

Second, hooking up our Cummins 9500W, there was this info/caution in the manual concerning proper grounding.

I checked with a friend/ EE/ electrician and he said I was OK as-is with the mechanical transfer switch we have. I don’t really know if this could be related to your problem.

Comment

Following

Comment

Installed this bad boy when I did the ac hard start and generator outlet at the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X