No announcement yet.

Did your oak trees come back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine have recovered here in the deep piney woods.

Comment

I’ve lost 3 live oaks.

Comment

All of mine look fine.

-john

Comment

Ours are all doing great. They have been growing like crazy this year, I assume because of all of the rain. In previously years, I have only noticed the live oaks, post oaks and black jack oaks growing leaves, when they first start growing them for the year. I have been noticing a lot of them around where we are, keep sprouting lots of new leaves. You can tell by the color of them.

Then we bought a pin oak three years ago, I looked up the range of where they grow, where they do best at, ECT. It shows we are down at the far southern edge of where they can be grown. The one we got, grows like a weed. I have never seen a oak or any hardwood tree grow at the rate that thing has grown, in the last three years.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
            I have about 3000 that are 1 year old in pots and they all lost their leaves but most survived. They have leafed back out and look good
            3000! Wow! Do you plan to sell commercially then? What’s the best age to plant?

Comment

Ours looked worse from the worms than after the freeze...we got stripped this year. All have come back better except one small oak and an elm that died.

Comment

The newly planted oaks are fine but I lost all 10 of my 2 year old planted pine trees that were doing great before the freeze. Now I have to pull them up, buy more and replace. All that work for nothing.

Comment

Some did, some did not. One of my medium sized pecan trees I fear has bit the dust.

Comment

I'm hoping the real victim of the freeze is the acorns. Hopefully the trees spent all their time and energy growing new leaves that they don't have much left to produce acorns. If so, should be a great year hunting over corn

Comment

All of mine came out, but half a dozen or so around the house are half full. I’m hoping they fully bloom next spring so I don’t have trees that are half dead.

Comment

All of ours are fine and look better than ever. Side note, we thought we had lost several small palm types in our borders and a GIANT Oleander, but all are sprouting new growth.

Talked to a arborist at one of our local nurseries and he said "most" trees and plants will recover if they just have time. Exception is the large Palms that had too much damage. All we are doing is trimming off the dead stuff and watching the recovery.

Comment

Managing multiple commercial properties in North and Central San Antonio we've had several mature oak trees that looked poor into June, most now have leafed out. For our clients we took the wait and see attitude after two arborist recommendations. Both said wait til July 4th. Glad we did, damage not as nearly as bad as it looked just a month ago. Many very mature Huisache trees look awful, coming out very low on the trunks or flat out dead. Survivors will likely get culled in July and August and the dead removed.

Comment

I have a big White Oak that appears to have died.

Comment

Mine look OK here in North TX. We have had a cool and wet spring, and forecast for cool and wet through next week. Will keep water handy for them through August and September, I know this cool and wet will become hot and dry soon, this is Texas.

Comment

Are y’all seeing any acorns to speak of on these trees? Most trees I’ve looked at if they have any at all they’re small and theres very few of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X