No announcement yet.

Ideas for “rights of passage” for my son & gift suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Ruger MKII, Mark III, or Mark IV if you’re going semi auto, but dang it’s hard to beat a Single Six!

Comment

Stand up at the camp fire and tell him what you just told us about him in front of all his buddies

Comment

12 pack of Natty!

This is a joke! wait till he is 16.

Comment

Lots of good advice here for you to work up a cool weekend for your son and his buddies. Great idea to do this for your son’s 13th birthday.

After a good day of fishing and shooting, settle the boys down around the campfire, and tell them to really listen up for just a few minutes. Then you or one of the other dads read "If—" a poem by Rudyard Kipling. This was written in 1895, and it is still about the best advice going regarding becoming a man. I’m guessing some boys will always remember this, and later as grown up men will thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
            Lots of good advice here for you to work up a cool weekend for your son and his buddies. Great idea to do this for your son’s 13th birthday.

After a good day of fishing and shooting, settle the boys down around the campfire, and tell them to really listen up for just a few minutes. Then you or one of the other dads read "If—" a poem by Rudyard Kipling. This was written in 1895, and it is still about the best advice going regarding becoming a man. I’m guessing some boys will always remember this, and later as grown up men will thank you.

This. I didn’t get the RK poem but I did have my Dad, there with my Grandpa, who was looking on so proud. Just told us about being a man. Be proud, treat people, especially women with respect, do the right thing even when no one is looking. Say yes sir and yes ma’am, open doors for everyone. Along with that came, stand up for yourself and others who can’t stand up for themselves. I turn 46 tomorrow and the conversations around the fire with my Dad and Grandpa who are both gone will never leave me. I don’t have kids but I try to pass some of that on to my nephews and his friends when we’re at camp. Those things stick with young men when told to them in the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Tell all the boys to bring a knife. You bring a ferro rod. Let them figure out how to build a fire with no matches/lighter.

Shelter building exercise (maybe a contest out of sight of each other and then compare).

Bring some snare wire and teach them that.

Or maybe gift each one of them a small pouch with a ferro rod, paracord, compass, etc.

Afterwards, declare them all junior bushcrafters/woodsmen/survivalists whatever. It might spark a life long hobby. At the least they'll learn something that may be useful in the future.
              Not only do I think these are all great ideas, I like them because they have practical value as well.

I did a little research online and came across an article on male rites of passage from a website called The Art of Manliness which offered a few ideas to consider:

For example, in addition to the usual circumcisions and bloodletting, there is a tribe of people who live deep in the Amazonian jungle of Brazil that, in addition to a circumcision, perform a sub-incision on the initiate as well. After the ritual circumcision, where the tribal elders lift and “severely twist” the fore skin of the penis before snipping it off, the tribe’s “spiritual guide/medicine man” performs a sub-incision by inserting a stiff piece of straw through the ureter and puncturing the penis near the frenulum. This is done to simulate a woman’s state of menses and to foster understanding and empathy among the young men for that which the women in the tribe endure once a month. (Kinda sweet, when you think about it.)

There is another tribe in Africa that forces wooden stakes through the nipples (as well as the chest and back muscles) of the initiate and suspends him from the ceiling of a lodge—one specifically built for this ritual—until the initiate faints from the pain after which he is lowered and circumcised. Fortunately, he is spared the pain of the circumcision by his state of unconsciousness.

Below is a picture of a few of the boys in the Amazonian tribe right after their sub-incisions. You’ll notice that even though they have to use walking sticks to get around, they’re happy because they no longer need to wear tampons.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                Tell all the boys to bring a knife. You bring a ferro rod. Let them figure out how to build a fire with no matches/lighter.

Shelter building exercise (maybe a contest out of sight of each other and then compare).

Bring some snare wire and teach them that.

Or maybe gift each one of them a small pouch with a ferro rod, paracord, compass, etc.

Afterwards, declare them all junior bushcrafters/woodsmen/survivalists whatever. It might spark a life long hobby. At the least they'll learn something that may be useful in the future.
                This, and set up a compass course a few miles away from your ranch site. Blind fold the boys, and drop them off one evening to the drop site near a water source for drinking and fishing if possible). Only allow them with a the items Chew mentioned above (knife, compass, ferro rod, and a whistle).

I'd also add giving them a raw egg and styrofoam/paper cup each. Fill the cup half way with water, insert egg, burn down fire to coals, rack coals back, put cup near coals and bring to a boil for 15 minutes. The top of the cup will melt from the heat, but the rest of the cup will withstand the heat (there is a lesson to be learned there).
                Tell them to build their shelter, catch their food, skin/gut, cook it, and navigate back to the ranch by noon the next day.

I did something similar when I was about that age and will never forget it. The exercise builds a bond, encourages teamwork, and teaches survival skills.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  Not only do I think these are all great ideas, I like them because they have practical value as well.

I did a little research online and came across an article on male rites of passage from a website called The Art of Manliness which offered a few ideas to consider:

For example, in addition to the usual circumcisions and bloodletting, there is a tribe of people who live deep in the Amazonian jungle of Brazil that, in addition to a circumcision, perform a sub-incision on the initiate as well. After the ritual circumcision, where the tribal elders lift and “severely twist” the fore skin of the penis before snipping it off, the tribe’s “spiritual guide/medicine man” performs a sub-incision by inserting a stiff piece of straw through the ureter and puncturing the penis near the frenulum. This is done to simulate a woman’s state of menses and to foster understanding and empathy among the young men for that which the women in the tribe endure once a month. (Kinda sweet, when you think about it.)

There is another tribe in Africa that forces wooden stakes through the nipples (as well as the chest and back muscles) of the initiate and suspends him from the ceiling of a lodge—one specifically built for this ritual—until the initiate faints from the pain after which he is lowered and circumcised. Fortunately, he is spared the pain of the circumcision by his state of unconsciousness.

Below is a picture of a few of the boys in the Amazonian tribe right after their sub-incisions. You’ll notice that even though they have to use walking sticks to get around, they’re happy because they no longer need to wear tampons.
                  And then after your wife and kids (post sepsis coma) leave you, you have a lot of time to post on TBH, hunt, and drink beer. I think this is a win-win.

Love this place and the creativity.

[emoji1787]

Comment

I'm kind of confused. Are you wanting to have a "ceremony" or a "prove your a man test"? It sounds to me like you want to congratulate your son on what he's accomplished thus far in his life. Not give him a test to prove he isn't a man yet until he passes said test? I like the knife idea. That's something he can carry with him every day of his life. Have a constant reminder of who he is.. In a world where people are constantly telling our young men that men aren't important and manliness is bad. It's important to reinforce his identity! I think giving him something to carry every day would be the best way to remind him!

Comment

Get him a heritage rough rider 22. Great six shooter and won't break the bank.

Comment

Sounds like a great kid, and a great getaway weekend coming up!

You could take him to a gun show and let him pick out the pistol of his choice. Or if he's expressed any one way or another, get him what his heart longs for be it semi or revolver. It's all good.

Comment

Take them to Mexico. I know this place where they do a show with these...Oh wait. Forget about that .
                          I'd get them all something of the same that they could have forever. Like a pocket knife commemorating the weekend. Maybe even get the handles engraved with a date or the Ranch name. These could become heirlooms.
                          Have fun and congrats on being a great Dad.

Comment

Lmao 😂!

Comment

I would recommend bringing some Peyote and leaving them to wonder through the Coleman county spirit world!

In all seriousness a gun or knife for him to have forever would be awesome and just getting away with dad for a while to have talks about being a man would probably suffice.

Comment

Remind me to never go to one of your parties.....

Comment

Working...
                                X