• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    Staubach had to wait. He should too.
    This

Comment

He he take someone else’s spot? What if his career last 15 years? I say boot him out and give the spot to someone else. Then let him take the spot of someone else that does the same thing he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        He and the Bucs should have know the commitment. But expecting people to maintain their commitments and accountable to their choices is something we are missing as a society
        This sums it up.

Comment

Someone needs to show that kid a picture of Pat Tillman and then explain to him what the other side of the coin looks like.

Comment

After all, he did get a 4yr. college degree paid for. Now he gets to pay it back.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
              He knew what he signed up for. He also wasn't drafted, just signed an undrafted free agent contract. No promises he will make it anyway. Also what about the other students that could be professionals in engineering, law, etc that could go get great jobs right out of school but have to serve out their commitment??? I do not think pro sports should get special treatment.

Good way to look at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yep, +1 he knew what he signed up for, the Navy honored their part of the contract and now he needs to honor his part.

Comment

Did Trump's order to change this rule not go through?

Trump Orders Rule Allowing Military Academy Grads To Defer Service To Play Pro Sports
                  Under Department of Defense policy established in 2017, those enrolled in military academies couldn't play sports before serving at least two years in the armed forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I didn't read the article... I saw it on twitter a few days ago. I'd be curious why they allowed some and not him before I made a decision on "Tough"..
                    It bears no point on why some were allowed and not he, and many others. The Navy fulfilled his contract, he doesn't want to fulfill his. He needs to shut up and fulfill his part of it. If he doesn't like it, "Tough". Are you always an enabler?

Comment

I am in the camp of he should honor his commitment to the Navy.

With that said I do wonder why some from other branches of military were granted a postponement, it sounds like each branch of the Service determines how they address requests for postponement of service. I do not have a military background nor have I ever thought about this but I would have thought the protocol for an issue like this would be consistent across all branches of service. I guess not.

Comment

Everyone loves rules for others. The kid should stop whining and get on with it. He knew what he signed up for. If he thought it was going to interfer with his lifelong dream he should have taken his talents to another school. Just another example of what is wrong with society these days. And yes Stuabach was the first one to enter my mind when I started reading the article, then David Robinson.....showing my age there a bit I suppose.

Comment

I think he understands his commitment and he said as much. I also understand his thinking that others have been granted what he has been denied.

I have no information on the decision but I would assume it has to with his specialty in the Navy - Cyber Security. There have been some high profile issues lately and this sort of skill is hard to come by. I have worked in this area so I know personally it is difficult to find good people.

Either way, I wish the young man good luck in the future.

Comment

I agree that all these kids should honor their commitments to the branch of service to which they have contracted. Professional sports are no more important than any other career choice or career opportunity that may await a graduate.

With that said, I'm curious how these situations are handled for those that are granted an exception. In this case, the kid was signed as an undrafted free agent, and was probably a longshot to make the squad. If he had been granted a delay by the military, and the Bucs sign him to a practice squad, I guess he's still under a pro contract? And if they cut him loose, how long does the military give him to "pursue his dream" and sign with another team? This is the problem with granting exceptions, in my opinion.

Comment

Honor your commitments just like those who take out student loans...oh, wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                I didn't read the article... I saw it on twitter a few days ago. I'd be curious why they allowed some and not him before I made a decision on "Tough"..
                                Other branches let their people, but shouldn't have let them defer.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X