X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
    lets see the barn cat!
    Word.

I found a cool 14 yr old male mix longhair with feline leukemia at the shelter. I dont mind him dying in a couple years...hanging out with the ladies and killing vermin...Id like go out like that...I wonder if he would.

(Ive gotta research feline leukemia.)

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
      While that is the norm, it’s not an absolute.
      These are all coral snakes.

Best policy if you don’t know, let it go.
      The bottom 2 you can see where one color is just faded out. It the top one that only has red on the head and tail I would not have guessed as a coral. However your policy seems more dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Would love to see one in the wild.
        One of the few snakes I've never caught.
        I’ve only seen 2 in the wild and was able to catch both of them.

Comment

Coral snakes seem to come and go. My parents used to have a house outside of Alvin in Brazoria County for almost 30 years. My dad maybe saw 2 coral snakes for the first of those 25 years. Then there was literally one year he killed probably half a dozen, one of which, made it into the house. One of them was almost 6 foot in length, which we thought was huge for a coral snake.

Comment

I was in the hospital for a week after being bitten by a snake. I will kill any poisonous snake around my house.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
              Coral snakes seem to come and go. My parents used to have a house outside of Alvin in Brazoria County for almost 30 years. My dad maybe saw 2 coral snakes for the first of those 25 years. Then there was literally one year he killed probably half a dozen, one of which, made it into the house. One of them was almost 6 foot in length, which we thought was huge for a coral snake.
              I grew up in Brazoria County and we did have several over the years. But a six footer? Not likely. More likely that was a king snake, and a big one at that.

Comment

Not a king snake for sure based on the color pattern with yellow bands touching red (just like post 29 above). I used to have the picture; I'll see if I can find it. This was back around 2010. My dad is 6 foot tall and he was holding that snake chin high with the tip of the tail on the ground in the picture. So, not 6 foot, but definitely over 5.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                  Not a king snake for sure based on the color pattern with yellow bands touching red (just like post 29 above). I used to have the picture; I'll see if I can find it. This was back around 2010. My dad is 6 foot tall and he was holding that snake chin high with the tip of the tail on the ground in the picture. So, not 6 foot, but definitely over 5.
                  A six foot coral snake is a world record.

Comment

Our cat killed this one the other day. Biggest i have seen.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                      A six foot coral snake is a world record.
                      48" would be a record for a Texas coral snake. The longest on record now is just under 4 foot.

Comment

Only seen two coral snakes on my place in 40 years. Never any rattlers, but have seen 2 timber rattlers not far from here. Several cottonmouths around the pond, and have to kill 6 to 10 dang copperheads right around the house here EVERY year...

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
                          Our cat killed this one the other day. Biggest i have seen.
                          Absolute unit.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ag View Post
                            The bottom 2 you can see where one color is just faded out. It the top one that only has red on the head and tail I would not have guessed as a coral. However your policy seems more dangerous.
                            It’s a statistical fact that most bites from venomous snakes are a result of people messing with them. I used to be a snake handler and still enjoy hunting them and I fully understand the risks involved. The best policy to avoid getting bit is to avoid the snake.

Comment

The most coral snakes I have seen were at Camp Karankawa at West Columbia. The hill behind the firing line at the rifle range was covered with them. It seemed like we shot almost as many rounds into that hillside as went down range.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                                While that is the norm, it’s not an absolute.
                                These are all coral snakes.

Best policy if you don’t know, let it go.
                                If I'm not mistaken that one in the top picture isn't native to North America though but there can be melanistic snakes and other things that make the patterns odd and out of the norm so I agree. The best way to not get bit is to not pick up snakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X