Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck, I hope it works out!

Comment

Well not really but back to the Bull. See if he’s got a rock or something in his hoof. Can you take his temperature?

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
        How big a trailer is it going to take for him? I'm just curious. Never had a bull that wouldn't fit in a 16x6 trailer. Some have to back out because they're to big to turn around. Good luck. Hope he loads easy in the morning.

I have a 16 ft now. I think the other one is 14, not saying he couldn’t squeeze into it, I just wasn’t able to force him in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
          Well not really but back to the Bull. See if he’s got a rock or something in his hoof. Can you take his temperature?

I have never taken a cows temp. I can’t explain why this has not occurred to me. Don’t know what there normal is.

I might need new equipment

Comment

Do not stand behind panels when loading him unless they are well secured. He's gentle right now but they can change quickly. People have been hurt bad by a cow are bull pushing on a gate they are holding. JMO. Good luck.

Comment

Can you post a picture of this bull. That is all.

Comment

Sounds to me that he may have a thorn or sharp stick stuck in his foot. I had one several years ago and he had a roofing nail between his toes. Just wondering how many cows is he with. You may be able to get a few more years out of him depending on how many cows he is serving. Good luck they ain't cheap.
                Last edited by brokeno; 04-06-2021, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Any luck getting him loaded and to the vet?

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                      I have never taken a cows temp. I can’t explain why this has not occurred to me. Don’t know what there normal is.

I might need new equipment
                      Nah. I've never seen my vet take their temp, either.

I hope today goes well for you. I'm curious, though, you keep saying he's a huge bull but he's Angus so how big can he be?

Comment

Pretty common for the vet to take their temp. They stick a thermometer in the rectum. At least that is how I have seen my vet get the temp. Hope he is able to get his bull taken care of. I have learned my lesson. If I had another one in a bad way I would get him to the Packer before he gets to bad.

Comment

Originally posted by GREATWHITE416 View Post
                          Pretty common for the vet to take their temp. They stick a thermometer in the rectum. At least that is how I have seen my vet get the temp. Hope he is able to get his bull taken care of. I have learned my lesson. If I had another one in a bad way I would get him to the Packer before he gets to bad.
                          Yep best to send to the packer. Im done with vets. Ive thrown to much money at cattle on vets advice and we havent saved one yet. Now i just throw some meds at them and see if they recover if they dont we end up putting them down or a trip to sale barn if they can make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                            Guys I would to be thrilled to have a vet come out, but they won’t. If you don’t have them in a squeeze shoot, no dice.

I once begged and pleaded and offered to pay double, when I had a cow down that couldn’t get up.

If you know a vet, northeast Houston, let me know.

He did not come to feed. He is lying in the little strip of woods at this moment.

I am going to try and give him L200 when my daughter gets here. Have no clue how that is going to go.

Thanks so much for responding.
                            We have the same problem getting a vet to come out to our place. Seems the old vets that made "house calls" are a dying breed and all the new, young vets want you to bring your animal to them. Merde!

I was going to posit either hoof rot or a sprain. Ours tend to obtain sprains after they've been fighting (cows, too). Usually, they get over it on their own.

However, the fact that your bull is down and won't come to food is concerning. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to the LA200. You'll know more then.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                              Lots of trailer places rent stock trailers.

Could it be tetanus? They will walk really stiff.

If you need to give him shots, rope him and choke him down. It isn't fun for anyone, but if done right you can give him shots and live to tell about it. Remember to let off the rope as soon as he falls.
                              I've never heard of this. How is it done?

Comment

In for an update.

Comment

Working...
                                X