Question for Natural Gas pipeline guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Natural Gas pipeline guys

So how do they keep the Natural Gas moving to homes when the power grid is down? I know it's a simpleton question and I'm assuming it's generators, I'm just wondering what that NG "grid" looks like. I don't think I've ever seen NG stop flowing in all the years I've been in Texas (outside of a leak). I'm getting a NG standby generator and now I'm thinking, What are the odds that somehow the NG stops flowing.

Compressors that run on natural gas. We burn our own product to compress it and send it on down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
      Compressors that run on natural gas. We burn our own product to compress it and send it on down the line.
      Ohhhh. Ok well that's pretty slick. Appreciate the info.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
        Ha.....that’s cool

Comment

NG, saved a lot of lives..................
          Hats off, to you folks................

Comment

I always wondered how long I would have NG if a catastrophic failure of the electrical grid happened. Doesn’t do much good to have a backup NG generator if that will eventually go down too.

Comment

What would happen to the NG pressure if you lived in a neighborhood where 20+ people added backup NG generators? Do you think there would be enough pressure to supply that much NG that'd be needed?

I'm curious b/c I've been talking to my neighbors and I'm pretty sure there will be at least 20 homes that have a NG backup generator installed after this. One neighbor works for Cummins and his sales department is working on getting a bulk deal setup for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ohuett View Post
                What would happen to the NG pressure if you lived in a neighborhood where 20+ people added backup NG generators? Do you think there would be enough pressure to supply that much NG that'd be needed?

I'm curious b/c I've been talking to my neighbors and I'm pretty sure there will be at least 20 homes that have a NG backup generator installed after this. One neighbor works for Cummins and his sales department is working on getting a bulk deal setup for everyone.
                All NG pipelines operate at 800-1200 pig. Houses run on about 8 oz. Psig. Plenty of supply in a 24" pipeline at 1000 pdig.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                  All NG pipelines operate at 800-1200 pig. Houses run on about 8 oz. Psig. Plenty of supply in a 24" pipeline at 1000 pdig.

Good info! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

But the distribution lines aren’t 24” and at that pressure. Supply could be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tobyb2007 View Post
                      But the distribution lines aren’t 24” and at that pressure. Supply could be a problem.

Every source has an Achilles heel.

Comment

Not all pipelines operate on that high of pressure. We have lines that run on 300

Comment

lot's of nat gas production went down this week due to frozen instrumentation, frozen fuel lines, produced water and condensate tanks filling and haulers not driving on the frozen roads, treating plants losing supplied power and not having back up generation, the list goes on. There was still nat gas being produced but a significant amount went offline

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                            Every source has an Achilles heel.
                            Wood is fairly bulletproof

Comment

Just curious how you guys keep hydrates from forming as the gas is being sent down the line. As we circulate gas out of a well and it flows through our chokes we often have to induce glycol into our manifold as we get gas up to the surface to keep it from icing over and plugging off chokes. Do you guys just regulate the flow rate to prevent this or is it not as big a problem on land.

Comment

Working...
                              X