No announcement yet.

eating bass???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a young man and had a house full of kids no legal fish got released unless I was culling a limit. We ate lots of bass. Lots of white bass and some hybrids. I haven’t eaten a bass in years, crappie and catfish are just too good.

Comment

Reminds me lent starts soon. You can call me "team zip lock"

Comment

I eat em grilled stuffed with tomato and jalapenos, or brown in a skillet for tacos

Comment

Makes a dang good fish taco

Comment

Always eaten bass, catfish, and speed perch (white bass), draw the line at a dish my sons father in law made, salad made from carp, not eating carp. In Russia, if it swim its eaten.

Comment

Bass is in my top 5.

Comment

Bass are fair eating. We only keep them from overpopulated ponds. Their tails and fins are very tasty when fried. Like eating tater chips.

Comment

Lots of heathens on this thread!

Comment

If you're gonna bake a fish, bass is what you want. Good firm, white meat. Really tasty.

Comment

Bass are good eats. Chasing yellow mouths is my favorite form of fishing. Looks like it may be a while (if ever) to get back.

I can remember days on Big Lake as a kid and in college when working birds we could have filled the boat. Good size too. Haven’t seen that in many years though.

Thinking I’m gonna get a Livescope and learn some crappie fishing tips from Buff and Slew.

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                        Bass are fair eating. We only keep them from overpopulated ponds. Their tails and fins are very tasty when fried. Like eating tater chips.
                        Cheeks are the best. Like buttah.

Comment

I grew up not knowing people looked down their noses on eating bass. We always made fun of people from South Dakota and Iowa for eating bullheads. Now, I’ve learned how good those are as well. I think of it like driving around on a warm sunny day with a freshly killed deer that may have been shot a little far back, and complaining about a gamey taste.
                          All fish should be bled ( slit the gills when you catch them and put them on salted ice, or cut them up. They decompose so quick and the meat is delicate. Take a lesson from commercial fisherman who gill and freeze their catch as fast as possible. I’m even looking into that Japanese wire thing you noodle the nerves out of the spine at the tail for improved meat quality and ice pick thing you put behind their heads to dispatch them to end the struggling and meat damage resulting. A fish that died in a warm livewell of oxygen deprivation and rides 35 miles in 90 degree heat and another half hour while you unpack, set up a cleaning table in the sun is going to be mushy pond water meat.
                          When people complain about large fish not tasting as good, that’s because they’re tasting more fish and less seasoning, cut them up all the same size and no one will know the difference.
                          Cold water fish taste better because it’s usually cold where you catch them. Cod for example are basically bottom feeders that have somewhat dark meat until they are gilled.
                          I’ll cook channel cats next to walleyes and nobody knows the difference. Really no different than purging crayfish or de-veining shrimp, fish blood is some nasty stinky stuff, don’t eat it.
                          Last edited by Txtourist; 02-14-2021, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            Largemouth is better than white bass or catfish, but not as good as crappie.
                            As good as catfish? You take that back you north Texas riff raff.

Comment

I like them.. better that sand bass.. never had crappie though

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
                                for yrs my brother and i took his clients wading/drifting for trout, and strongly encouraged them to release all the big trout we caught. heck, we pleaded with them. it pretty much fell on deaf ears. As most of em said they just taste too good to release..... well, after a few yrs of port mansfied fishing, the oil field group did a few bass fishing trips on choke and amistad. i wish i had a video of the group bass tournry on choke, where my brother weighed in 5 bass totaling over 35lbs, took them out of the weigh in sack, and filleted them. you could have honestly heard a rubber worm drop in the parking lot....

looks like a lot of us will be doing a little bass fishing in the next couple of years.. i have never eaten or killed a bass, even when i lived next to l bastrop through out college, and fished there bout 4 days/week. how do they taste?

i've been chasing trophy trout for 30+ yrs. there a fewer big trout every year, and we haven't seen a big freeze since the 89's. i don't know how they are going to recover to a healthy population, WHICH MEANS LARGE/OLDER TROUT TOO, not just dinks, unless txpwd addresses the limits again, all the folks making a private living pillaging a public resource(guides), or croaker soaking??
                                Relax bud, the way you skew it, we shouldn't be hunting deer either. There's a limit for a reason, period. If the fishery takes a major hit from this weather, TPWD will adjust limits and means. If you want to truly go after someone, go after all the illegals keeping everything they catch, regardless of size or species! Hail, on Lone Star Law alone, they let most of them go with just a warning! (I know that show is for "show") but it gives credence to others watching that they can get away with it too.

To answer your topic question, I don't care for largemouth bass, but love to catch them.

Comment

Working...
                                X