Who makes their own sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
    MesquiteCountry has a recipe thread with an Excel Spreadsheet that is awesome.
    Very good recipes here, use these as a base ( and they are great that way ) and then we always add a lot of heat to ours !! !
    Last edited by critter69; 11-17-2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      That's not what you posted on your instagram....

Well, you weren't supposed to blast it all over TBH. Now everyone knows!

Comment

I saw several posts refer to it, but here is the link. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...squite+country

Comment

Group makes some every year I switched from deer meat to elk and find it much better

Comment

Originally posted by GarrettH View Post
            So no dice on using the wife's cake maker.

don't mean to steal the thread but whats the most price friendly equipment to get going?
            I've had a cabelas grinder for 15 years.
            Pretty heavy duty for personal use, used to go for about $250 and came with everything needed to grind burger and stuff sausage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarrettH View Post
              So no dice on using the wife's cake maker.

don't mean to steal the thread but whats the most price friendly equipment to get going?

Don’t get the $99 ones unless you just want try making a little bit to see if you like it. Plan to spend $250 at least to get a decent one. They certainly go up from there and you get what you pay for. I bought a clearance LEM at academy several years ago. Was $450 and got it for under $300. Invest in a stuffer as well if you plan to do a lot. So much faster and easier than running thru grinder again.

I also use the Mesquite Country recipes. What is great about them is you can adjust the formula in the excel spreadsheet to your liking. Then each year you just put the total pounds you plan to make and it will display the amount of each ingredient needed. We really like the andouille and bratwurst.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
                Lovemylegacy - its easier than most folks think. Just a little time consuming.

My suggestions;
                1. pick a recipe you think sounds good.
                2. make sure you have all the spices on hand and ready to go.
                3. I prefer natural casings. Soak them in warm water a little before you are ready to start. Rinse inside and out.
                4. Weigh out the prescribed amounts of meat and fat. (I get fresh pork fat at HEB)
                5. Its totally doable even with a cheap grinder as long as you have the sausage tube attachment. After making several batches I bought an upright canister stuffer and I love it.
                6. Smoke the links or just eat them without smoking - both are great.

After you get the hang of it you can tweak the spices a little to tailor them to your tastes.

Have fun!
                Thanx Crittergetter, Im looking at the Lemco grinder. If I grind 3 deer, it will have paid for its self.

Comment

Only use the choice cuts of deer and pork. Keep the sinew to a minimum for best results. This is experience talking!

Comment

I have some in the smoke house now, making hard sausage.
                    Sausage was made in February of this year.

Comment

Working...
                    X