Need A/C - Plumbing advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need A/C - Plumbing advise

The primary drain line for my a/c is run to the sink piping just above the p-trap in my guest bath room. The water draining is cold enough to condensate the p-trap and making cabinet are below extremely humid and damp. I’ve been told the following by 4 Different a/c guys or plumbers...

• My filters were to good and the restriction does not allow the air to exchange heat. So I changed from a 10 fpr to a 7 fpr with no change in the situation
    • The line needs to be cleaned out. Before I pay to have they done, if it’s draining does the line really need to be cleaned out?
    • It’s normal, I just need to insult my sink drain pipes
    • Its unavoidable because the the sink is on an exterior wall

Anyone ever dealt with this and how do I fix it...

Install a new drain line that exits in the soffit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I understand it, your pipe is sweating under the faucet?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
        So I understand it, your pipe is sweating under the faucet?
        That’s correct the rubber drain line and the p-trap under the sink are both sweating

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post

The secondary drain comes out of the soffit in the side of the house

Comment

Sounds like the simple solution is to insulate everything that is sweating.

We always insulate these drain lines in the attic, but they aren’t usually insulated under sinks because they are in conditioned space. Sounds like the exterior wall situation is causing it to be hot under the cabinet, raising the dew point and causing condensation.

Wrap those pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo45 View Post
              The primary drain line for my a/c is run to the sink piping just above the p-trap in my guest bath room. The water draining is cold enough to condensate the p-trap and making cabinet are below extremely humid and damp. I’ve been told the following by 4 Different a/c guys or plumbers...

• My filters were to good and the restriction does not allow the air to exchange heat. So I changed from a 10 fpr to a 7 fpr with no change in the situation

• The line needs to be cleaned out. Before I pay to have they done, if it’s draining does the line really need to be cleaned out?

• It’s normal, I just need to insult my sink drain pipes

• Its unavoidable because the the sink is on an exterior wall

Anyone ever dealt with this and how do I fix it...

So, let me say that those lines are located under the sink so it’s easy to locate and service. Is there a way you could abandon that line and tie into another line in the attic?? Or cut that drain line in the attic and have it dump into a 5 gallon bucket and have the overflow on that bucket run down to your sink. That way the water will heat up before it drains to the sink so it won’t sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

[QUOTE=sideways;14958647]Install a new drain line that exits in the soffit.

Absolutly right. Use the water for something like your potted plants.......

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post

This. Sounds the same as what my neighbor had in his house and after a lot of service calls they finally ran it out through the sofit

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo45 View Post
                    The secondary drain comes out of the soffit in the side of the house

Run the primary drain right beside it problem solved.

Comment

Like was posted above, insulate anything that sweats. It wont take much insulation.

If you blow that drain line clear, put a towel over the sink drain, or be prepared to clean nasty crap off of the bathroom walls.

Comment

Working...
                      X