No announcement yet.

New Hunting Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you use the rings that came with the gun ?

Comment

Originally posted by RPB View Post
      Did you use the rings that came with the gun ?
      Yes

Comment

I've got a Super Blackhawk (plain model, no Bisley grip or built in bases for rings) that I picked up last year. Tried to add a No-tap base for a red dot and never could get it to setup right so I've gone back to open sights. Really want to kill a couple of things with it this year and am building some 240gr cast SWC loads for it now. I've love to put an optic on it, but not sure who could drill/tap it for me or how much that would cost.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
          I've got a Super Blackhawk (plain model, no Bisley grip or built in bases for rings) that I picked up last year. Tried to add a No-tap base for a red dot and never could get it to setup right so I've gone back to open sights. Really want to kill a couple of things with it this year and am building some 240gr cast SWC loads for it now. I've love to put an optic on it, but not sure who could drill/tap it for me or how much that would cost.
          Did you use the Weigand base ? That’s what I put on my OM SBH and it has been very good. I’m going with a Raptor mount on my Blackhawk in .41 mag and a Leupold Delta Point. It’s at Alan Harton’s shop right now getting some action work but I intend for it to be my main hunting handgun.

OP, your SBH Hunter should make a fine deer getter. I like the Bisley frame much better than the plowhandle but I was unable to find one in .41 mag, so I just went with some oversized grips from Texas Grips like these on my .44 Special Flattop.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Did you use the Weigand base ? That’s what I put on my OM SBH and it has been very good. I’m going with a Raptor mount on my Blackhawk in .41 mag and a Leupold Delta Point. It’s at Alan Harton’s shop right now getting some action work but I intend for it to be my main hunting handgun.

OP, your SBH Hunter should make a fine deer getter. I like the Bisley frame much better than the plowhandle but I was unable to find one in .41 mag, so I just went with some oversized grips from Texas Grips like these on my .44 Special Flattop.
            About a month ago, Gallery of Guns had some Ruger Bisley Hunters in .41. I almost bought one of them, but decided to go with the .44 instead. My brother and I are already set up to reload .44s. I'm downsizing from a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull. I also have a Super Blackhawk Bisley in .454 Casull.
            Last edited by Phillip Fields; 06-15-2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I did. I torqued to spec and used the supplied loc-tite and all that jazz and it was still a hair loose. Took it off, cleaned all threads and tried again and same thing.

Comment

Misspoke. I’ve got a New Model Blackhawk and tried the Weigand mini mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Outstanding! I love seeing handgun hunters on here. My one true addiction. Congrats on the new pistols!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                    Outstanding! I love seeing handgun hunters on here. My one true addiction. Congrats on the new pistols!

Me too! I did that for many years and evolved from 44's and 41 Smith's to Contenders... Likely to go back that direction as I get older... the old bow drawing muscles ain't what they used to be and arthritic shoulders are sure making bow hunting a chore...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Me too! I did that for many years and evolved from 44's and 41 Smith's to Contenders... Likely to go back that direction as I get older... the old bow drawing muscles ain't what they used to be and arthritic shoulders are sure making bow hunting a chore...
                      Many years ago I had a Contender in .30 Herrett, and killed some deer with it. It was stolen and I never replaced it, as it just didn't feel like I was handgun hunting when I used it. I bought my first .44 Mag revolver in 1971 and have owned at least one ever since then.

Comment

I have the exact same Beasly
                        With 4 power leupold excellent pistol
                        Just wish they made decent aftermarket
                        Grips

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                          Many years ago I had a Contender in .30 Herrett, and killed some deer with it. It was stolen and I never replaced it, as it just didn't feel like I was handgun hunting when I used it. I bought my first .44 Mag revolver in 1971 and have owned at least one ever since then.
                          I sort of did the opposite... went from Smith's to the Contenders, but still got some of both... Gave my 29 to a nephew and he up and died a few years ago, and his dad won't let me have it back... My favorite contender was (and is) a 7-30 Waters... Shot 3/4" 3 shot groups with that gun at 200 yards off bags... Longest shot was a 197 yard head shot on a doe... It's got a 2.5-8 Leupold pistola scope on it...

Comment

Daaaaang!
                            Sweet pieces.

Comment

Decided to add one more: Ruger Vaquero, Talo/CFDA edition with low hammer Spur, Star Pattern Grips, 4.625" barrel .45 Colt.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Phillip Fields; 07-21-2020, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Very nice collection

Comment

Working...
                                X