Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite cooking wood?

What wood do you use to cook with?

I use mesquite for steaks since it burns hot. Don't like it for cooking ribs or anything that takes more than 15 minutes as it has a strong smoke taste.

I try to mix oak and mesquite for ribs. And more oak when cooking longer like brisket.

I use these because I have tons at the ranch. What other woods would be better? I hear people using hickory, pecan etc. Do people just use what they have or are some actually better?

Favorite cooking wood?

Pecan. Any fruit wood works well too. I’ve used Apple, peach, and pear wood with good results. Pecan is my go to. If I don’t have any,
    I’ll use oak.
    Like you said, mesquite is great for steaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Graysonhogs; 06-14-2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
      Pecan. Any fruit wood works well too. I’ve used Apple, peach, and pear wood with good results. Pecan is my go to. If I don’t have any,
      I’ll use oak.
      Like you said, mesquite is great for steaks

I guess with my black thumb I have peach and pear wood now to use

Out of 48 trees we planted about 20 are still alive. Stupid grasshopper invasion last year Grrrrr

I'll have to gather pecan wood when I get a chance. Wish I had a few big pecan trees.

Comment

I can bring you some when I come down.

Comment

Mesquite used to be my favorite for many years, but then got to try pecan years ago. Pecan is great, then I got to try hickory, hickory is also great for cooking. Then I had someone I know, who makes the best BBQ around, said he only uses post oak. I eventually tried post oak, after I ran out of hickory. I would say pecan, hickory and post oak are all about equal, all great for cooking.

I have also used live oak many times, it works good, makes a nice hot fire, burns a long time, but does not add much flavor to the meat. Mesquite adds a lot of flavor, but burns up quickly and produces a lot of smoke that will burn your eyes. Pecan, hickory and post oak, all produce much less smoke than mesquite and the smoke does not burn your eyes nearly as badly as mesquite.

Comment

Hickory.

Comment

Smoke on oak and grill on oak charcoal with a piece or two of whatever wood I have hanging around.

Comment

Mesquite for everything, build a fire outside your pit and only put coals in.
                Smaller limbs (more percent bark) and greener wood can give a stronger wood flavor, so use dried wood with little or no bark. Fruit woods are good for chicken or turkey.

Comment

Pecan is my all around wood whether smoking or grilling then oak but I always use some mesquite mixed In for flavor
                  Against a lot of unpopular opinions I also will use hackberry from time to time
                  It burns hot and long so I can throw some in with any other wood if I’m busy and need a fire to run itself. I’ve never experienced any bad taste or flavor as a result

Comment

Pecan and hickory

Comment

Hackberry is the best.

Comment

Mesquite for Steaks. Hickory or Pecan for ribs or pork butts. Combine Oak and Hickory or pecan for brisket.

Comment

50/50 oak/mesquite mix

Comment

Pecan and Oak for smoking. Mesquite for steaks.

Comment

I’m a live oak guy. Don’t care to much for the flavor of straight mesquite. Pecan is good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X