Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hammyhamilton View Post
    Been hunting area 4 and 5 and no signs of mouflon and aoudad... Hunted area 5 before, and it was full of mouflon, don't know where they all went... Area 4 had no sign of aoudad either...
    Deer staying up top on the bluffs I assume?

Still too hot for me. Last time I went in October I hiked to my hunting spot and sat with no shirt on for 2 hours until the sun started getting low. I'm hairy, but not that great for camo lol.

Comment

Originally posted by hammyhamilton View Post
      Been hunting area 4 and 5 and no signs of mouflon and aoudad... Hunted area 5 before, and it was full of mouflon, don't know where they all went... Area 4 had no sign of aoudad either...
      Lots of browse in the San Pedro flats area so the mouflon are probably getting fat over there...
      Last edited by Pedernal; 10-09-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

There really are hardly any aoudad out there at all. I've heard of 2 being taken in the past 7-8 years.

Mouflon are usually AWOL after opening week then slowly return as the crowds thin..

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          Deer staying up top on the bluffs I assume?

Still too hot for me. Last time I went in October I hiked to my hunting spot and sat with no shirt on for 2 hours until the sun started getting low. I'm hairy, but not that great for camo lol.
          Have not gone in to scout but scoped from the highway; lots of does on the south fence line area 5... Bugs are killer with all the grass out there. Not to mention ticks crawling around every where...

Did you find the tin you were looking for? I know your asking on a different thread but I would be interested in trading some hard labor for a fishing trip. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
            There really are hardly any aoudad out there at all. I've heard of 2 being taken in the past 7-8 years.

Mouflon are usually AWOL after opening week then slowly return as the crowds thin..

I've killed 2 in the last 4 years, and that should be 4 if I wasn't an idiot.

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Have not gone in to scout but scoped from the highway; lots of does on the south fence line area 5... Bugs are killer with all the grass out there. Not to mention ticks crawling around every where...

Did you find the tin you were looking for? I know your asking on a different thread but I would be interested in trading some hard labor for a fishing trip. Let me know.
            Gross, man I'm seriously not a fan of ticks AT ALL. That's another reason why I wait til later in the season. Bugs and snakes lol.

No I haven't found any tin sources so I may just have to buy new. There's one up North that I might be able to scavenge on a trip to Dallas but that won't be for a few weeks. You're welcome to come down any time, we just might do more fishing and hunting than working LOL. It's dove season down there and the island is literally covered in sunflowers, saw a few birds last trip but not a lot flying because anywhere they drop they're in sunflowers and there are no hunters kicking them up. Duck season starts in November. I'm ordering some lights to setup at night on the jetty but probably don't need them. Last trip the Reds and Black Drum were swarming on the surf side of the POC big jetty so we just walked a little out and caught them on paddle tails, have to weed through huge skipjack on every cast to get them but they were under the school of skippies.

Oh yeah and these guys:

Last edited by justletmein; 10-09-2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I'm interested in venturing out to Amistad. Anyone wanna join?

Comment

When are you going out??

Lots of hunters out today. Hope I did not screw anyone's hunt. I waited till 10 before I went in to for one last look.
                Last edited by Pedernal; 10-22-2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I just made a new post, check it out. Going to go out nov 6-9

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    When are you going out??

Lots of hunters out today. Hope I did not screw anyone's hunt. I waited till 10 before I went in to for one last look.
                    Any luck with that or at least evidence of where she might havie gone?

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                    I just made a new post, check it out. Going to go out nov 6-9
                    I'll be there for a 4-5 day stretch between the 7th and 13th.

Comment

Got back last night, nothing hit the ground but found some interesting new areas I want to explore. Had a run in with some "hunters" who walked right by my boat and within 100 yards of me yelling back and forth across the canyons to eachother trying to "stalk" some Aoudad. I'm heading back down end of this week and then the week after Thanksgiving if anybody wants to come by camp and shoot the breeze.

Comment

I want to go but probably wont have time this year. Might try for a trip right before buck season ends. I wouldn't mind going during the exotic only but my buddy doesn't want to go..

Comment

I shot a a decent aoudad in 4 last year. Shot over him cause I walked right up on him and he pinned me down in the sage. No rangefinder in my hand, got a holster for it now. The hunting is better for me when there's lots of people pushing the animals around. I hunt spots and tend to stay put so it works for me. Some of the best hunts I've had there are with a group of 6-8 hard core guys. Something always gets put down. Drives work too but you have to be respectful of other guys. It definitely helps to have a sense of humor cause the majority of people I've seen out there never even knew I was there and it can get you mad if you let it. I think the best time to go is when you can!

Comment

I'm still interested if anyone wants to go. Hit me up

Comment

Let me know when you're going. I'm interested as well

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                Got back last night, nothing hit the ground but found some interesting new areas I want to explore. Had a run in with some "hunters" who walked right by my boat and within 100 yards of me yelling back and forth across the canyons to eachother trying to "stalk" some Aoudad. I'm heading back down end of this week and then the week after Thanksgiving if anybody wants to come by camp and shoot the breeze.
                                how much deer movement did you see?? Any luck out there besides deer driving "hunters"??

There are some young bucks that almost seem to want to start chasing does around. Have seen lots of scrape activity. Going to try some mock scrapes and see what happens. I spotted a nice 8 two days ago that appeared to be "cruising" mid day.

Comment

Working...
                                X