Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amistad?

Not asking for spots or setups, just wondering if it's worth going out there. I have a boat if that helps. According to the website, I get the rules and such, but is there that many animals out there or are they way few and far between? Any pics of success out there?

Plenty of deer and mouflon. You just have to be smart. Also lots of hunters. If I was to go this year, I would sneak to the very back of 5 on the boundary WAY before daylight and see what comes sneaking over the boundary onto private land. The next thing I would do is get your boat out on the lake and glass the lake side rocks and make a move from there. Other than that find a well used trail and sit as long as you can stand it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mouflon are like roaches. Pressure them and they squirt out...keep your arrow knocked and at the ready...there is a good chance the sheep will be between you and the truck. Boat need will vary depending on hunt unit. Get your boots strapped on good. It is all canyon land. Most everything vegetative will stab you. The wind blows most all the time. Stalk slowly to the leeward side of the canyon...the mouflon will be there.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-04-2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I haven't been out there since 2003. I hear that there are lots of hunters. I would go all the way back into section 1 where the old cattle pens are and set up near the water. We always killed decent bucks back there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
          Not asking for spots or setups, just wondering if it's worth going out there. I have a boat if that helps. According to the website, I get the rules and such, but is there that many animals out there or are they way few and far between? Any pics of success out there?
          There are plenty of opportunities without a boat but a boat gains you a shot at aoudads in area 4 which is boat accesable only. There seem to be more and more hunters every year. Best advise I can give is show up during the week and there will be less hunters out there. It's been really green this year so I suspect there will be some nice bucks out there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            There are plenty of opportunities without a boat but a boat gains you a shot at aoudads in area 4 which is boat accesable only. There seem to be more and more hunters every year. Best advise I can give is show up during the week and there will be less hunters out there. It's been really green this year so I suspect there will be some nice bucks out there as well.

By far better to go during the week if possible.

Comment

Definitely go during the week, had several hunts ruined last year due to hunters roaming around aimlessly in area 4. Some guys in Doe season were trying to drive Aoudad like moufloun, ran all the deer to the next county.

I like to bring the boat and hit the back sides of 5 and sneak in, then let the hunters run everything to me as they walk in.

It's gonna be hard this year with all the rain, deer will be less predictable and more scattered. 2 years ago was easy pickings.

To answer your question OP, there are plenty of deer but they are not easy to get shots on.

I'll have a couple of weeks in November and early December I'll be doing middle of the week trips alone with the boat if anyone wants to come along.
              Last edited by justletmein; 10-04-2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                I'll have a couple of weeks in November and early December I'll be doing middle of the week trips alone with the boat if anyone wants to come along.
                Im interested.

Comment

I might be interested also.

Comment

Looking at Nov 8-11 and crap I just realized the other week is Thanksgiving week, trust me you do not want to be down there during Thanksgiving week. I typically camp at San Pedro campgrounds.

Comment

Lots of walking LOTS OF WALKING to get to a good spot and have a few opportunities way befor sunrise before anybody shows up.! I've had success the hard part is getting out with your harvested animal bow and pack..!!! Let me know I'm always down for a challange.!!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. May have to head out that way and take a look....

Comment

Originally posted by VictorG830 View Post
                          Lots of walking LOTS OF WALKING to get to a good spot and have a few opportunities way befor sunrise before anybody shows up.! I've had success the hard part is getting out with your harvested animal bow and pack..!!! Let me know I'm always down for a challange.!!

This is true I logged 7 miles of walking last time I was out there. Two shuttle runs to get the mouflon out and my bow out. Not to mention hiking in and around to find them.

Comment

We went out for a quick opening day Dove hunt to check it out, it is so over grown with vegetation even the well walked trails were over grown didn't see any deer or anything in the areas we went too and we went to the backs of both .! ! Also don't forget your water packs you will need it...!! sit still let them come to u don't wander around looking for them cause chances are they will find/spot u first and be gone with the wind...!!!!

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Comment

Been hunting area 4 and 5 and no signs of mouflon and aoudad... Hunted area 5 before, and it was full of mouflon, don't know where they all went... Area 4 had no sign of aoudad either...

Comment

Working...
                              X