Feed pens ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed pens ??

What’s everyone prefer?? Square pen, round pen?? How many panels??

I’m trying to get corn feeders and protein feeders in the same feed pen. I’ve always liked a bigger pen than a smaller one.

Buy as many panels as you can afford. I have 19 on one round ....and a 35x65 yard wide goat wire round pen. Bigger is always better.
    Last edited by Smart; 01-08-2022, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Go big and go round

Comment

Feed pens ??

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Buy as many panels as you can afford. I have 19 on one round ....and a 35x65 yard wide goat wire round pen. Bigger is always better.

I’m pretty sure I’ve got 60 panels out there. It’s always better to do it right the first time when setting up a new place I guess.

Comment

I think 14 is the perfect size and round

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
            I’m pretty sure I’ve got 60 panels out there. It’s always better to do it right the first time when setting up a new place I guess.

Sounds like 3 good feedpens...

Click image for larger version

Name:	00 Slacker feeder7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	24673751

Name:	00 Slacker deer View 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	24673752

Name:	000Slacker view1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	24673753
            Last edited by Smart; 01-08-2022, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Like others have said, the bigger the better. 10 panels minimum, 15 is what I prefer. Definitely go round. I have 8 feed pens on my place and I built half round and half square to begin with. They are all round but one now and it will be after season.

Comment

I haven't built a pen in a long time, but this is what I used to use. Cheaper and easier.

Comment

Feed pens

We built some panels out of 1” square tubing and 16’ hog panels. 6 panels for each one with only a feeder in it and 8 panels for the ones with a protein feeder as well. Works well for us, keeps the cows and pigs out
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                    I haven't built a pen in a long time, but this is what I used to use. Cheaper and easier.
                    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...h?cm_vc=-10005

Easier than panels? With our goatwire pens, you have to stretch them to make them rigid and straight. Plus you have to have trees for anchor corners or build deadmen braces out of tposts/steel pipe. Lot more work than our panels. About the only thing hard about panels is the transport.

Comment

60 panels would make three really nice pens. Rig up two panels in each pen as gates so you can drive through. Round.

Comment

What I've found that works for me is a 20 panel pen arranged on a kidney shape. Then arrange the feeders where I have a max 20 yard shot to any point in the pen. The pen is approximately 20 yards wide by 40 yards long with the blind near the middle of the North side.

Comment

3- 20 panels pens is perfect

Comment

I make a circular pen using 20 panels. It makes a pen that has a 100’ diameter. A Lamco stand and fill will sling corn 50’ in all directions so just inside the pen. This has been the perfect combination for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                              https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...h?cm_vc=-10005
                              cheaper. Not easier to build
                              Panels are only hard to haul, not build pens

I like a minimum of 8. I like round pens, but if you have hungry cows and octagon is easy to top with a strand of barbed wired

Comment

Working...
                              X