question for the axis experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question for the axis experts

going on an axis hunt in about two weeks can i expect to see any hard horns this time of the year ?? if notthen what time of the year is good for them ?? thanks in advance.

Yes. Axis shed according to when they were born, not like WT. You're likely to some axis bucks in velvet, hard antler, or dropped.

Comment

In India there are essentially 2 breeding herds. Some summer breeders and some winter breeders. Same here in Texas but the lines have blurred and though most breeding takes place in june/July and nov/ Dec there could be breeding going on any time and there will be some hard horns every day of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
        Yes. Axis shed according to when they were born, not like WT. You're likely to some axis bucks in velvet, hard antler, or dropped.
        This

Comment

We have some hard horned now.

Comment

Most will be in velvet this time of year.

Comment

As has been said before, you’ll have a mix of hard horned, velvet, and dropped at any given time of the year. A majority of our axis are in various stages of velvet growth currently, but we do have a couple that are hard horned running around too. If you want a full velvet Axis, most of ours will be tipped out or nearing tipped out in late March/April. They’ll shed velvet shortly after and then we’ll have a majority of hard horned Axis through the summer and into October/November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

Most of mine are shedding antlers now or are in various stages of velvet. I have a few that just shed velvet in last 30 days.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X