Beginner Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner Guitar

Both of my girls want to learn how to play guitar. I know we have some guitar players on the green screen. What would be a good beginner acoustic guitar?

I'd buy something used that will stay in tune and sound decent. Some of the cheap "beginner" guitars out there marketed toward kids sound like crap and won't stay tuned. Something like a Taylor Mini would have resale value if they don't like playing but could also be something they could play for years if they do like it.

Comment

How old are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are they old enough for a full size? Ibanez talman. I've had mine for over a decade and still just as good as the first day.

Comment

13 and 16. And I know nothing about guitars, so the more specific you can be the better.

Comment

What's your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              What's your budget?
              Shane, I'd like to stay under $400, but get something they can use for a while. Doesn't have to be new, but would like it to be in good shape. Is that realistic?

Comment

I have a 10 year old boy that wants one as well, I don't play so I don't even know where to start.

Comment

If theres a Guitar Center near you take them there and let them try on a few. They also sell beginner starter packs with pretty much everything you need for a good price. I started my girl on one. You can move up the price scale with experience after that.

Comment

Originally posted by CBHunter View Post
                    Shane, I'd like to stay under $400, but get something they can use for a while. Doesn't have to be new, but would like it to be in good shape. Is that realistic?
                    Yep. Any of these would be good:

If you didn't mind spending a little bit more, this one would be a nice step up (but not necessary for a beginner): https://reverb.com/item/47863279-mar...guitar-2549427

You can shop at Reverb.com, MusiciansFriend.com, Sweetwater.com, GuitarCenter.com (or local store), or any other local music shop for most of those. If you can find one at a local store where there's someone that actually knows what they're doing that can set up the guitars (adjust the neck, file the sharp edges off the ends of the frets if they need it, etc.) that would be best.

Comment

I'd rate guitar brands in this order, based on what I've experienced.
                      1. Martin
                      2. Taylor
                      3. Seagull (Canadian)
                      4. Yamaha (Chinese)

I've been happy with my Seagull S6 and just bought a Yamaha FGX800C a couple of months ago. Both are A/E. I don't play professionally, just for jammin' with others. The 1st 2 on my list are pricey and great quality. I believe I gave $400 for the Seagull and $300 for the Yamaha.

Comment

My personal preference is one of my Martins but I would not suggest paying that kind of money for a beginner.
                        Olphart is right on about the Seagull's. They're solid guitars at a good price. I agree with Shane about finding a local guitar shop. For beginners, the setup is going to be important. I'd have them do everything he mentioned along with putting some lighter gauge strings on to make it easier on their fingers.

Comment

I have a nice Martin that stays in my office unless I’m going to play somewhere. Recently got interested in teaching my wife and also have if something cheap to keep downstairs by my easy chair. Ended up with Orangwood guitars and am very happy with this little Oliver Junior model. Dirt cheap, sounds decent and stays in tune. Dog has knocked it over. A few time already, no biggie. Also no fear of campfire sparks!

Shop our solid top mini acoustic guitar. Oliver Jr. Mahogany is your new go-to travel guitar. Set up in Los Angeles, CA. Free Shipping & Easy Returns. Shop solid top acoustic guitars starting at $195.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
                            If theres a Guitar Center near you take them there and let them try on a few. They also sell beginner starter packs with pretty much everything you need for a good price. I started my girl on one. You can move up the price scale with experience after that.
                            Do like the bigdawg says.

But before you visit GC visit YouTube. You and your daughters search YouTube for “how to choose acoustic guitar” and all three of you watch some of the top view count videos. There are several good ones and you will learn a ton about guitars before even picking one up. Then go to a GC or similar. Ask the sales person if your daughters can play (just “hold and strum”) both new and used guitars. Have the girls play some nylon string classical guitars too.

Here’s a suggestion before you buy one, first ask around your family and social network to see if anyone has an “idle” guitar the girls can borrow for a while. Ask at church, neighbors, relatives, school friends, etc.

There are several great ideas on this thread (Shane is never wrong about guitars!), and my suggestions are just meant to provide information BEFORE you make a purchase. Good luck, and let us know what you and your daughters do. There are several guitar pickers here on TBH and speaking for all of us good luck to your daughters!

Comment

Are they right handed or left handed?

Comment

Working...
                              X