What draw weight do you advise for general hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What draw weight do you advise for general hunting

My riser is coming in but now I need to select limbs.

Local shop has a set of 40# & 45# limbs. I have found a set of 50#-65# limbs that i can have here next week.

What is a good weight for hunting deer, pigs, normal exotics, etc? 45# just seems low out of a recurve. I have my two compounds set at 70# and 80# and have no trouble pulling them, so I'm thinking that at a minimum I would be comfortable with 55#.

Looking for advice, would a 50# be a good compromise? I don't want to wound any animals due to underpowered equipment

If this is your first go-round with a trad bow, I do not recommend buying over #45 at your draw length. I would argue it should be even less. Shooting too heavy will most likely create bad form & habits.

A #45 bow with a well tuned and placed arrow with a cut on contact broadhead is plenty to take whitetails and hogs.

Comment

I shoot a 44@28 (I draw 28) Black Widow Longbow. I haven't taken any deer with it but have taken a Black Bear and several pigs with it. 45# will take most anything you're apt to shot in Texas.

Comment

How much experience do you have with traditional gear? I went from pulling my 75# compound like it was nothing, to a 60ish # longbow and struggled severely. I had to purchase a cheap 45# longbow to learn the proper mechanics and build up to my heavy bow. As far as hunting is concerned I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with 45#

Comment

It ain’t the pulling , it’s the holding. If it wasn’t for that, the compound may not have been invented. It all has to be executed with good form. The arrow and the broadhead plays as big a role in lethality as the bow’s weight. Watch a YouTube video called ask Tom Clum, he’s a lot smarter than me about this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by tradman View Post
            How much experience do you have with traditional gear? I went from pulling my 75# compound like it was nothing, to a 60ish # longbow and struggled severely. I had to purchase a cheap 45# longbow to learn the proper mechanics and build up to my heavy bow. As far as hunting is concerned I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with 45#
            Very Limited Experience with Trad Bows.....just shot fish with them.

With 45# limbs in the bow its gonna be about a 40-41# bow in actuality.

Comment

What is the letoff percentage on your compound bows? Say your 80# bow has a 75% letoff... you are holding 20#. Many hunting compounds have a higher letoff, so say 80# with 80% letoff, you are left with 16#. See why they are concerned with holding weight, vs draw weight? It is much easier to learn with a lighter weight bow, to get your form down. You want to be able to take multiple (dozens?) of shots during learning and practice, without your form deteriorating. My 18yo son is fit and strong, and hunts with a 70lb compound, but he can’t draw and HOLD at draw, one of our 50# recurves. Yes he can shoot it, but as far as aiming or being accurate with it, no.

Comment

The 45lb limbs at your draw length are still adequate to hunt and kill big game.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you’re new to traditional and just starting to shoot , you planning to hunt this year with trad gear ?

Comment

A point I would like to throw out there for you to take into consideration. Knowing what I know now. I have a new Toelke on order that is being made at 50# for my draw length. I can shoot my 64# recurve all day long, but to improve at the 3d course I am choosing to cut weight! I would go lighter if tuning wasn't a nightmare at my 33" draw length.

Comment

go with 50# to 55# and don't look back but keep your practice sessions short so you don't create bad habits. With lower weights you'll have to be extra picky with your shots and you'll need them super close. If you go with a heavier arrow (>500gr) you might not be happy with the trajectory at 40# to 45#.

Comment

Originally posted by LAW View Post
                        If you’re new to traditional and just starting to shoot , you planning to hunt this year with trad gear ?
                        Ideally yes. If I can punch center rings.

Shot a lot of fish with a recurve just not targets since grade school. Want to get good enough to hopefully take a deer in December.

Shot a sage Samik 50# bow today and that was no issue at all. Thinking of ordering 55 # limbs for the Satori

Comment

Just keep em close. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have killed deer with 45lb bows drawing the full poundage. two of 3 were pass throughs, the other hit leg bone on exit and stopped. Now days it is a 50lb but would have no problem going back to the 45 if I needed to.

Comment

More will chime in, but you can fill the bed of your truck with dead pigs shootin a 45 lb longbow. As has already been said, consistent form, leads to accurate shootin, and a cut on contact broadhead in the vitals out of a tuned 45 lb bow will kill em dead as a hammer! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Working...
                              X