No announcement yet.

What caliber for 700 yard rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A .284 or larger caliber rifle you are comfortable with will be the best suited one. I personally prefer the 28 nosler or 300 prc. I shot 2 mule deer last week with the 300prc at 500 and 675 yards without incident. It really boils down to what you can shoot comfortably out of a light backpack ready caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Isn't that necessary either.
      Im not saying it is.. I want to shoot one at 100 yards lol.. But if I have to I want to be able to.. Kinda the same with wanting to shoot 20 but I have a 100 yard sight tape when I go out west with my bow

Comment

I'm just going to throw this out there since no one else has. 6.5 Creedmoore..

But I like the 7mm STW or the .280 Nosler. Or even a standard 7mmMag.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          Go shoot 700 and try to hit a vital size target your FIRST shot and I bet you’ll be humbled.

Do you know how to adjust for that thin air at high altitude? Ram ballistics and trued them?

Just stating there’s a lot more to it than buying a gun capable of that.

300 win or 7 mag. 300 wsm or 7 Saum. You’ll want high BC and horsepower at that distance. Need high BC to cut the wind and you’ll need to be able to read the wind up there. Chances are it’ll be high wind that high. 700 is a risky risky shot in high wind. And especially at an altitude you haven’t proved data in. Buying the equipment is the easy part.

For the record, I own the gear and know how to use it. It would have to be perfect conditions for me to attempt that shot on that animal in a place like that.

Last time I shot was 750 and missed first shot hit second and third. Im not saying I want to shoot that far.. I want the ability.. **** I would take my bow if I thought it was remotely probable.. I dont want to mess with all this rifle stuff lol

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            not sure I understand your comment? 700 isnt that far these days..
            Very long ways in the field. 500 is a long ways to settle after moving on a mountain

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              Last time I shot was 750 and missed first shot hit second and third. Im not saying I want to shoot that far.. I want the ability.. **** I would take my bow if I thought it was remotely probable.. I dont want to mess with all this rifle stuff lol
              Understood. Just know it’s a big difference in being at the range and hitting a big *** piece of steel lol. It humbles a lot of people. And gets lots of critters wounded.

I hope you get one to walk out within a few hundred yards and smoke em.

Comment

Can't beat my 300 win mag in 180 gr

Comment

ask the outfitter.

Comment

Congratulations, this is going to be an awesome hunting trip for you, good luck.

Comment

300 win mag vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

300 wm all the way. 7 rm would be my second.
                        Last elk I shot was at 924yrds with 185 gr pill and I had a pass through. Plenty of energy to break shoulders if needed and it bucks the wind well.

Comment

.308 or .264 are excellent calibers.

Comment

It depends on shooter. I prefer a flatter shooting rifle because 20 yards can make a big difference at 700 yards. I would look at bullet drops and compare would be my deciding factor. I would compare .26 .28 and .30 caliber guns. I like the BC of the .28 and 7mm. Then just decide on the cartridge to push it

Comment

I was watching a Marco Polo hunt the other day and the host was talking about caliber selection. This was his 4th or 5th time hunting mountain species in Asia. Two things he mentioned, enough bullet to carry out to distance well and enough to break down a large goat or sheep on the spot (considerably larger than NA sheep and goats). Second, if some how ammo gets lost in travel, if you aren’t shooting a popular caliber then you will be out of luck because they won’t be able to get you any over there.

If I were buying a new gun for this trip I go with one of these two:

At 6 lbs and under with a PROOF Research barrel, the 110 Ultralite lightweight rifle is designed to combat elevation and elements without sacrificing performance, making it the ultimate mountain hunting rifle.

The savage doesn’t come stock in .300 win mag but if you call they’re custom shop they will put one together in that caliber for you. Both these rifles are cheaper than a gunsmith that just pieces stuff together and shoot just as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
                                My 7 STW would be going with me ! Good luck.
                                That would be my first choice too

Comment

Working...
                                X