No announcement yet.

Cutting down a barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cut my barrel on my 6.5 Creedmore. Precut it loved the Hornady 142 EDL bullet. Cut barrel and would no longer shoot the 142 with the same accuracy. It started liking Swift 129 gr.
    I say all this to beware of change in bullet diet.

Comment

I like shorties so I cut my Remington 700 .308 to 13inches lol, Have a good load but working on getting it chrono'd to see what my actual velocity is.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
        I like shorties so I cut my Remington 700 .308 to 13inches lol, Have a good load but working on getting it chrono'd to see what my actual velocity is.
        I know very little about the legalities but thought the legal minimum for a rifle is 16"?

Comment

If it's a Remington 788, don't cut it down. Buy something else.

Comment

From the original post, do you really need to silence, quieten a 222? Are you just looking for something to do?
            Sure, silencers are cool and all that, and also Tacticool, but do you really need one for a 222.

Comment

My 788 222 isn’t pretty by any means but for sentimental reasons I couldn’t cut it down. The one I’m cutting down is a camo synthetic stock browning A-Bolt that I intend to carry when coyote calling. Waiting on my first can to arrive in a few months. Intend to use the 222 for coyotes but still contemplating the pig gun it will go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                From the original post, do you really need to silence, quieten a 222? Are you just looking for something to do?
                Sure, silencers are cool and all that, and also Tacticool, but do you really need one for a 222.
                I agree, it’s a quiet rifle as is but so is a 22 rimfire and I look forward to suppressing one of those as well!

Comment

Originally posted by plain lucky View Post
                  i agree, it’s a quiet rifle as is but so is a 22 rimfire and i look forward to suppressing one of those as well!
                  +1

bp

Comment

Ruger 10/22 with Gemtech “Mist” barrel

Of all my guns, the one listed at the top is everyone’s favorite. You very seldom hear the shot, just the sound hitting the target down range and the bolt cycling. Every person who has ever shot the gun started saving for one right after shooting it. Suppressed is addictive..........AND FUN!!

Comment

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't own one.

I jumped on the bandwagon years ago and i just don't hunt without them any more ..

you "know". when you hit something ! pssssssssssss... thump!

and omg if you think a unsuppressed 222 is not loud ???

i shot 2 pigs a couple of weekends ago .. 95gr bal tip 243 .. remington 700 243.

gun was left full length with the use of an adapter .

it sounds about the same as a ruger 10/22 unsuppressed .. then it sounds like you drop a 10lbs phone book in the middle of a quiet library ...

you'll never go back i promise!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncFgmIydezE&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]Installing a suppressor on a traditional 243 rifle - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Curious, Why cut it down? If your hunting varmints then you will probably be hunting at night in the open. I personally varmint hunt as well at night and from a safety standpoint I’d prefer everyone to be shooting longer barrels. If you up in a high rack with multiple people and have an animal come in you can get caught in the moment swinging your rifle around. With a short barrel you could potentially have enough space between you and the rail to not notice or even another person. Me personally, I’d leave it long and just deal with it. It’s really not that inconvenient.

Comment

Cutting down a barrel

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
                          Curious, Why cut it down? If your hunting varmints then you will probably be hunting at night in the open. I personally varmint hunt as well at night and from a safety standpoint I’d prefer everyone to be shooting longer barrels. If you up in a high rack with multiple people and have an animal come in you can get caught in the moment swinging your rifle around. With a short barrel you could potentially have enough space between you and the rail to not notice or even another person. Me personally, I’d leave it long and just deal with it. It’s really not that inconvenient.

If a person can’t control their muzzle with a short barrel, I wouldn’t want to hunt with them. It shouldn’t take them whacking you in the back of the head with their 26” barrel to know where everyone else is. Lol

The majority of the people cutting down their barrels are going to be running suppressors. Rifles get long in a hurry when you throw on a 6-9” suppressor on the end of the barrel. I varmint/pig hunt quite a bit. My main draw to shorter barrels, is the ease of getting in and out of the pickup. When you are in and out all night long, chopping off 4+ inches of barrel makes a huge difference.
                          Last edited by Raider4044; 01-18-2022, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
                            Not me. Adding a 6"-10" suppressor on an already long barrel is a beating. A pain to get in and out of truck, in a blind, hitting branches while walking etc. like carrying a 6ft 2x4 around. 20"-22" is about max length for me preferably on most standard bolt action calibers. That said, if i was not shooting suppressed, length would not matter as much to me. But to that point, I dont see me ever not shooting suppressed. It's a game changer.

Comment

Working...
                            X