No announcement yet.

6.5 Grendel - Bad Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our team has been through 14 Grendel’s. Only 1 would keep SST in a 12” group at 100… I ain’t kidding

All shoot blacks greqt, but the bullets explode on every animal shot. All recovered

Fusions is where we settled. Nothing but amazing results and rage broadhead blood trails when needed. Not meat friendly

We shooters DEAD CENTER of shoulders. It’s the largest target with greatest insurance

Comment

Sounds like the scope may be off. Or maybe you are aiming to far behind the shoulder.

Comment

I am a big fan of Barnes bullets but they need to hit bone to expand reliably, especially with lower velocity rounds. With the Grendel I would shoot for base of the neck or high shoulder.

All copper bullets will not destroy the meat nearly as bad as an explosive lead bullet.
        Last edited by Muygrande; 01-17-2022, 10:44 AM.

Comment

It is not the barrel length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

that TAC bullet is designed to have very controlled expansion, I suspect you have 2 dead deer out there with small entries and small exits which create small or no blood trail

Comment

What kind of velocity are yall seeing out of a 12 inch barrel?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                What kind of velocity are yall seeing out of a 12 inch barrel?

This is Factory Hornady 123 SST out of my 12.5”. You can squeeze quite a bit more velocity out of them handloading, but I’ve never really had the time to keep up loading for it, and factory ammo has worked fine For me.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                  This is Factory Hornady 123 SST out of my 12.5”. You can squeeze quite a bit more velocity out of them handloading, but I’ve never really had the time to keep up loading for it, and factory ammo has worked fine For me.
                  This is great. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you

Comment

Thank you for the responses TBH! I am on the lookout for some SST's. If anyone has a lead on some, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
                      My son has shot 4 deer with 123 grain Hornady SST’s. Not the most impressive blood trails but none have went farther than 50 yards.
                      This has been 100% my experience. Huge damage but not much of a blood trail.

For the record I am NOT an expert on this. You might want to do some research on the twist rate and barrel length of what you have. From what I have read you need to match the bullet weight to the twist rate and I would imagine the barrel lenght comes into play somehow. I have a 243 that I wanted to make a varmint hunting rig so I got some 55 gr ammo that was very fast. I couldnt get it to be consistant, every so often I would have a flyer that was not near the other impact points. Did some research and asked some questions on some forums and someone said put some 90-100 gr in there and see what happens. With 100's in there and it was super consistant. The guy that told me to do that said it was because of the twist rate of my barrel.

Lastly and by no means is this intended to sound like me calling you out but there is always the chance that a bad shot was made. One thing I have learned from having scopes that record the hunt is the way I remember the sequence of events before my shot and how they actually happened arent always aligned. Take that with a grain of salt because this is typically night hunting off shooting sticks after walking god knows how long so it is not as controlled as shooting from a box blind.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                        I killed two deer with a 6.5 Grendel.

I sold it immediately after if that tells you anything. Used 123 grain SST hornady ammo

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                          I killed two deer with a 6.5 Grendel.

I sold it immediately after if that tells you anything. Used 123 grain SST hornady ammo
                          Elaborate please.... don't leave us hanging..

Comment

I've had good success with the Hornady Amax, I believe now it is the ELDX? it's not as frangible projectile as the SST and exits leaving a good blood trail. The SST kills just as well but typically no blood trail. I bought a few hundred when the 123 grn sst's came out and now typically use them on pigs.
                            As stated above a high shoulder shot puts deer down in their tracks, typically very little meat loss.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                              Thank you for the responses TBH! I am on the lookout for some SST's. If anyone has a lead on some, please let me know.

Search out threads by low fence. Those Fusions do work!

Comment

I’ve never had good blood trails from Barnes bullets. Bullet selection is a bit more critical with the Grendel due to lower velocities. Short barrels make that even worse.

Many bullets have a 1800-2000 fps minimum expansion threshold so you have to be careful in bullet selection. I always shoot for the shoulders with the Grendel and I’ve yet to lose an animal I’ve been shooting a Grendel of some flavor since 2009.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X