No announcement yet.

make your predictions !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 5000 year old mummy of Otzi the Iceman was found to have an arrowhead imbedded in his shoulder. Archery is estimated go back 20,000 years to the Stone Age. Human nature probably hasn’t changed that much from that time to now. Folks been killing each other since there was folks.

I vote the bow wins the accuracy contest.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
      In the history of mankind, right? Gun vs bow. The gun has killed many, many more people than Indians have killed. First, relatively speaking, the Inians fought very little and the skirmishes were small in number, so just a few were killed. Meanwhile, just one WWII battle would produce, 100k KIA. It is not even in the same hemisphere. Your step dad's brother needs to read more books.

Don’t forget about the Crusades, Middle and dark ages. I’m not sure has the most kills in history but some of those volleys they launched back in the day would black the sky.

[emoji1662]

Comment

I will say bow, for sure. If it was a ruger mk11 .22, I would say pistol.
        Last edited by critter69; 01-02-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Too many variables. Accuracy of the bow. Accuracy of the pistol. Ability/ skill of the shooter with each weapon.
          With all things being equal I’ve seen many archers that can outshoot me with a pistol and I can ring a 12”x12” gong at 100 yards with the right pistol offhand.

Comment

Killed in history between arrows and firearms?

Likely firearms.

At 40 yards between a .45 and an arrow? Assuming this is a timed encounter) Almost certainly the .45.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              Killed in history between arrows and firearms?

Likely firearms.

At 40 yards between a .45 and an arrow? Assuming this is a timed encounter) Almost certainly the .45.
              the roman empire 31 BC – AD 476 ... millions and millions of deaths during those wars ..

crusades 1095 to 1291... 1 to 10 million dead depending on the historian you ask ..

9 million death from wars in imperial china 221bc - 1912

according to other sources
              Ancient wars (before 500 AD)
              War Death range Location
              Three Kingdoms War 36,000,000–40,000,000 China
              Yellow Turban Rebellion 3,000,000–7,000,000 China

now granted , not everyone who died was struck by an arrow , but it was the weapon of choice for any distances

much like bombs and sinking ships are not death with a "gun" so to speak ..

overall .. we have records of bow and arrows dating 64000 years ...
              so plenty of time to get shot by one in those times ... compared to a few hundred years for guns.

Currently, the oldest evidence for the use of the bow and arrow are small stone points found in Sibudu cave in South Africa, which are some 64,000 years old. Outside Africa, the oldest finds were previously pieces of bows found in Germany dating back no more than 18,000 years.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                the roman empire 31 BC – AD 476 ... millions and millions of deaths during those wars ..

crusades 1095 to 1291... 1 to 10 million dead depending on the historian you ask ..

9 million death from wars in imperial china 221bc - 1912

according to other sources
                Ancient wars (before 500 AD)
                War Death range Location
                Three Kingdoms War 36,000,000–40,000,000 China
                Yellow Turban Rebellion 3,000,000–7,000,000 China

now granted , not everyone who died was struck by an arrow , but it was the weapon of choice for any distances

much like bombs and sinking ships are not death with a "gun" so to speak ..

overall .. we have records of bow and arrows dating 64000 years ...
                so plenty of time to get shot by one in those times ... compared to a few hundred years for guns.

Currently, the oldest evidence for the use of the bow and arrow are small stone points found in Sibudu cave in South Africa, which are some 64,000 years old. Outside Africa, the oldest finds were previously pieces of bows found in Germany dating back no more than 18,000 years.
                Deaths don’t equate to arrows.

In approximately 3,000 BC when the Egyptians were believed to start using arrows In warfare, there were only an estimated 14 million people in the world.

9 million deaths in 2 centuries in China sounds like 1930s and WWII. It is estimated that the Sino Japanese war front 1937 - 1945 killed as many as 20 million Chinese. I would venture to guess that most of them were not run through by bow and arrow or a Japanese sword.

Firearms were invented about 1,300 years ago.

Most of those was deaths in ancient wars were likely impact weapons and blades and not archery projectiles.

When Columbus sailed the ocean blue in Fourteen Hundred and 92, there were approximately the number of people in the entire world as are in the USA alone right now.

In the OP it was mentioned all time fire arm deaths against archery. While it is known that archery was used in warfare, I thought that very many people were murdered with bows and arrows. Firearms on the other hand kill many hundred thousands of people who are not in war today.

Not counting suicide by firearms, since 1990 alone they have been approximately 10 million deaths by firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrage View Post
                  ^^^^^^^^^

I don’t get involved here but some really are off. I’ve seen this guy and all I can think is he didn’t win his run in office and back to the same pia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  ding ding ding ding!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    ding ding ding ding!
                    dumb dumb dumb....

Comment

well , the plan as of now is to do the video this weekend .. forecast calls for gusty winds so that will make it more interesting.

Comment

I know in that test with a normal pistol I would be more accurate with a bow. Some of my specialty pistols I might win though.

I'm not so sure on the gun vs bow kills in history, I would bet that edged weapons have both beat.

Comment

i won't be using anything fancy .. just a springfield xd45 , irons! wouldn't be fair using my Tc with 223 barrel and scope . this is more or less just an average Joe test ...

some guys with target bows and fancy sights shoot 100 yards no problem ... that's not me , i have not shot my bow in months and when i do it's just like once a year for 10 minutes just to play ... and make sure i don't forget how

Comment

here it is ... sorry about the audio ... fresh batteries from now on! [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8YI3h3Dlqo&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]BOW VS PISTOL @ 40 yards! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Interesting. But about what I expected. Bring on the excuses.
                              Last edited by Walker; 01-10-2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                                Interesting. But about what I expected. Bring on the excuses.
                                ahah ... yeah , not the tightest groups with either... but it's fairly realistic from a point of just grabbing something and shooting it.

no practice shots on either one to see where they would hit ..

actually surprised my elbow didn't pop on the first draw , it usually does .. i must be getting in better shape as i'm getting old.

would this had been a full size ipsc target , they would all be counted as hits ... but the communists would have been up in arms and the video would have been flagged ...

not unhappy with the results ... good enough for a shtf situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X