Sub 60# - Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub 60# - Why?

Why are so many of the bow manufacturers (especially ILF, but not exclusive to) going to only building bows/limbs, that are sub 60#, and some even sub 55#?

It makes no sense to me, and really shaves off a lot of the market for them.

Super hook limbs, that are in the higher draw weights are only built by Border as far as I know.

Does anyone know of a super hook manufacturer (preferably US, but not stuck on it), that builds ILF limbs in the 65# (or up) range?

Rick

What about Bob Morrison or Dryad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
      What about Bob Morrison or Dryad

Thanks, but Morrison will only go to 55#.
      I've talked to Brandon about it.

I thought Dryad went out of business, but to my knowledge they didn't/don't build super hooks anyway.

I'm really in the market for some super hooks, or some super statics.

Bigfoot builds super statics, that he calls ILF, but they aren't really,
      and I don't really want to get a set from him, and have to through all the modifications I had to do on my last set to make them true ILF.
      If I could get him to build them in a true ILF I'd buy another set from him in a heart beat. But, he's hard headed about it.

Rick

Comment

From what I can gather the point is getting the same energy and speed of higher poundage with lower poundage.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          From what I can gather the point is getting the same energy and speed of higher poundage with lower poundage.

Of course it is. But, I'm not interested in shooting a 50# bow that shoots like a 65. I'm interested in shooting a 65# bow that shoots like 80.

I just want to find a super hook manufacturer, who will build me a set of 65# ILF super hook limbs for a 21" riser.

I know that would most likely have to come from a custom manufacturer, and that's where I've mostly been looking, but as of yet I have not found one to do it.

If being a custom order, market demand has ZERO to do with anything. You use the same forms. You use the same materials. The only thing different is the stack, and of course most likely the price.

Rick

Comment

Sub 60# - Why?

I think it’s that they have the recipe down to a t for most of the popular weights and all the materials in bulk. People now are so **** picky that if they order 65#and it’s 63# on their little digital scales they throw a fit. I can’t believe dryad would go out of business they were busy last I talked to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
              I think it’s that they have the recipe down to a t for most of the popular weights and all the materials in bulk. People now are so **** picky that if they order 65#and it’s 63# on their little digital scales they throw a fit. I can’t believe dryad would go out of business they were busy last I talked to them.

Yeah, I believe it's more of a "They don't want to", than anything to do with market, especially where custom manufacturers are concerned.

Last I heard about Dryad was, they had sold out to someone, and had gone into the mushroom growing business. To my knowledge, they never built a super hook limb anyway.

Rick

Comment

I'd ask Cody at Trad Lab. He's into those things.

Comment

Dkincaid, I just remembered who it was, that Dryad sold out to.

South Cox @ Stalker Stickbows.
                  South actually builds some darn fine shooting bows. He builds a really fine shooting static recurve, but it isn't a super static, and no super hooks.

Rick

Comment

Sub 60# - Why?

I’m with you Rick, but the struggle I have is finding the right bow and poundage that is made for my long ape arms! Lol

But on a side note I just bought a new Toelke SS at 50# with their 10x target grip and I’m in love with it! I love my 64# Toelke that I bought off of Trumpkin, but this 50# is much easier to hold back for an extended period

Comment

I just picked up a used Morrison Dakota longbow it’s 60lbs ordering a string for it , I have not even shot it yet. It is in great shape it’s 20 years old I am pretty excited.

Comment

Just heard back from Backwoods Composites.

They will build the super hook limbs from 30 - 70 lbs.
                        I think I've solved my problem.
                        Will probably order a set soon, but they gave a 6 month backlog.

Comment

Just ordered a set of MOAC 1.0 (Super Hook) - 65# @ my 29.5" draw - ILF Limbs in the Medium M2 length from Backwoods Composites

Here's the link straight to their Super Hook ILF page:

Our MOAC 2.0 ILF limbs are designed around an aerospace technology of structural morphing, which we name "Poisiflex". This new limb design greatly increases the stored energy in the limbs and accuracy. We achieved this by utilizing and tailoring our own proprietary blend and orientation of our carbon fiber. The as built limb is cross sectionally flat. When drawn back our limbs will perpendicularly flex creating a concave cross section, greater than all competitors. This in which increases the stiffness in the limbs in a highly nonlinear fashion. This highly nonlinear dynamic stiffness is how we achieve elevated performance. Our limbs are the first to use carbon fiber "spread tow" technology in our very unique carbon weave you see on the outside. By spreading and effectively flatting the carbon fibers bundles in the weave, the fabric behaves more like unidirectional fiber. The fibers are straighter rather than weaving in and out of other bundles. The straighter fiber is therefore stiffer and stronger. This enables us to design a limb with much less carbon producing a lower density limb. Lower density greatly enhances the limbs efficiency. We didn't stop there, we also updated our recurve profile to mathematically match the Fibonacci Sequenced, we call this "Curvanocci". This limb shape gives our limbs an exceptionally smooth draw at the end of the draw cycle. This new shape smooths out the end of the draw to approximately 0.5#/in draw to 1.0#/in draw, depending on bow configuration. These ILF limbs are also the first ever to incorporate a highly advance material that we manufacture ourselves called "Bow Marrow". It's made from aerospace grade aramid honeycomb core filled with our proprietary high strength low density filler. In comparison to hard maple, it's stronger, lighter and lessens the vibrational effects of the limbs. Bows are given a hard-durable urethane over a UV filtering epoxy finish. This combination gives the ultimate in environmental protection and flat matte finish. Limb poundage measured on 25" riser at 28" draw. Archer's poundage will differ depending on riser choice and draw. Typically, our limbs increase poundage by 0.75#/" (+/-0.5#/") of riser and increase poundage by 0.75#/" (+/-0.5#/") of draw. Limb poundage build tolerance is +/-2#. If archer needs a tighter tolerance, please contact us and we be happy to help. Note though a tighter tolerance will typically add two weeks of build time. We have also incorporated a new standard for string sizing, we call it "String Contact Length". This is a measurement from the loop grooves to the location where the string comes off the belly side (facing you when bow held as your drawing back). This length on each limb is independent of riser length, deflex and limb pocket angle. The SCL being independent of riser makes getting the right brace height much easier, because we all know how hard it is to get the right brace for which the limbs were designed to. We mark every limb with a black 1/2" wide bar to give the archer a quick reference and a spread of +/-0.25" brace. Proudly Designed, Machined and Assembled in the Greatest Country Ever, USA Help bring manufacturing back to USA by purchasing one of our great products.

There's a 6 month wait time, but I can live with it. I've suffered worse. LOL

Rick

Comment

Dang those buggers cost as much as my first car! I bet they are fast.

Comment

Those limbs are gonna look real good with a set of either one of these on them.

I haven't decided yet, but I'm partial to the timbers.

Rick
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X