TC Encore SBR on a Form 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC Encore SBR on a Form 1?

Wondering how this would work as it has potential to be any caliber. Would you have to know what caliber you are making for the stamp or would the receiver be able stand alone? Could you put any short barrel on it if you decide you didn’t like a caliber or would that cause you to restart a new form 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be wrong but I think it has to do with how the receiver was originally sold - pistol or rifle. If rifle frame, then a short barrel addition has to approved under SBR stamp. I think.

Comment

What I’ve been told is as long as you can return it to its registered form you can swap it however you would like.

Comment

Under the NFA rules for SBR approval you have to engrave the caliber (and manufacturer) on the receiver. Once approved though, I think you can convert to a different caliber as long as you are able to convert back to the original caliber. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Yes that's how it works. If it was stamped to be a 3" 308. You need to always have a 3" 308 barrel to restore back to how it was stamped.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
            Under the NFA rules for SBR approval you have to engrave the caliber (and manufacturer) on the receiver. Once approved though, I think you can convert to a different caliber as long as you are able to convert back to the original caliber. Can anyone confirm this?

The caliber does not have to be engraved, just the trust name and location of manufacture. In addition to this I think you can select “Multi” on a form 1 for your caliber selection.

Comment

Originally posted by QuackHunter View Post
              The caliber does not have to be engraved, just the trust name and location of manufacture. In addition to this I think you can select “Multi” on a form 1 for your caliber selection.

I don't think they allow "Multi" anymore. Pretty sure you have to specify caliber now.

Comment

choate makes an ar tube adapter/grip for tc ... then use a brace and you're golden without all the nonsense ... not sure on an encore though.. might just be only for standard tc frames

Comment

I have a contender awaiting an SBR stamp. What I was told is as long as you have a way to return the caliber to the original. Capital armory told me I don’t even have to have the barrel any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                    I don't think they allow "Multi" anymore. Pretty sure you have to specify caliber now.

Yes you have to specify a caliber but can change as you want.

Comment

Lots of (I think) answers here lol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                        choate makes an ar tube adapter/grip for tc ... then use a brace and you're golden without all the nonsense ... not sure on an encore though.. might just be only for standard tc frames
                        This right here^^^^...Make it/buy as a pistol, put on a SBA3 brace and you are golden without a stamp, wait or even prying eyes.

Comment

You will need to file it with one caliber/barrel length. “Multi” is not accepted as others have said. Also, as long as the barrel is engraved with the caliber, the receiver does not need to be engraved with the caliber, only your name or trust name and city/state. Once you have done that you can change calibers/barrel lengths as you please. You are supposed to be able to return to the original configuration unless you notify the atf of a change.

Don’t listen to those guys saying to just put a brace on it either. I don’t care what they say, I’ve tried the majority of braces on the market and they’re all junk compared to an actual stock and you won’t convince me otherwise. If you want an SBR now, you’ll still want one after building a pistol.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                            You will need to file it with one caliber/barrel length. “Multi” is not accepted as others have said. Also, as long as the barrel is engraved with the caliber, the receiver does not need to be engraved with the caliber, only your name or trust name and city/state. Once you have done that you can change calibers/barrel lengths as you please. You are supposed to be able to return to the original configuration unless you notify the atf of a change.

Don’t listen to those guys saying to just put a brace on it either. I don’t care what they say, I’ve tried the majority of braces on the market and they’re all junk compared to an actual stock and you won’t convince me otherwise. If you want an SBR now, you’ll still want one after building a pistol.
                            100% right here!

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Just seems with how easy the barrels change it can lead to confusion on what is needed for sure.

In the research I also found the hobbit rifle idea (picture below from rokslide) which would help on length and might keep be able to avoid the sbr tax stamp trouble for a bit. Face of action to buttstock on factory setup is 14” so 16”bbl would but me around 30” +\-. If I switch to the ar style backend maybe able to shave 2 more inches off but still stay longer then 26” minimum to avoid that hurdle.

Comment

Working...
                              X