No announcement yet.

Nosy people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am the nosy type. But I would have come over with a case of beer and asked if I could help burn stuff! Nothing better than a good bon fire.

Comment

I have a brush pile that gets burned at least once a year, sometimes more. I always check to see if there is a burn ban in place before I burn and even then I only burn when it’s still and after a rain.
      Several years ago, the day after a burn ban was lifted, I lit off a brush pile and about 3/4s into the burn I saw the VF brush truck cruise by my property. They didn’t stop at my gate, just passed on by. After a few minutes they cruised back by on their way back to the firehouse. They saw that I had a controlled burn going and that I was monitoring it and also had a water hose with me. They never said a thing. Apparently a neighbor must of called it in. It bothered me that those volunteers had their evening interrupted over nothing so from then on I always call and let them know when I’m burning.

Comment

I would have told him to GTFO & don't come back too. If he had said I'm unreasonable, I would have told him you will see unreasonable if you don't make tracks fast! You did good.

Comment

Sounds like you handled it just about right. I read all these comments about "city people". Well, I am a city people and I do my brush burns in my backyard. We have an acre on a creek with no fences and every January the xmas tree and brush gets burned in the fire ring. The fire department was called once and they were very nice. They came to check it out. Saw that it was under control (it was even drizzling at the time). We chatted awhile and then they left. It was soon after this that four other houses on the creek put in fire pits.

Comment

Had Brazoria county Environmental officer visit me during a burn one time. Started out talkin about the rules and regulations. Then he saw what may have been the end of a 2x4 in the pile. He called the Angleton FD. They came out, pulled the pile apart & doused it. He found the 2x4. Then lectured me on having "construction material" in the pile. Ha, a bare 2x4 is the same as the pine tree I was burning. He didn't agree! He gave me a warning ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
              Had Brazoria county Environmental officer visit me during a burn one time. Started out talkin about the rules and regulations. Then he saw what may have been the end of a 2x4 in the pile. He called the Angleton FD. They came out, pulled the pile apart & doused it. He found the 2x4. Then lectured me on having "construction material" in the pile. Ha, a bare 2x4 is the same as the pine tree I was burning. He didn't agree! He gave me a warning ticket.
              I was reading the TCEQ website after reading about it above. I saw this in the literature about exemptions from the rules. It talked about burning household waste.
              “Wastes normally resulting from the function of life within a res- idence that can be burned include such things as kitchen garbage, untreated lumber, cardboard boxes, packaging (including plastics and rubber), clothing, grass, leaves, and branch trimmings.”

So The state regulations look at untreated lumber at the same as limbs, cardboard and other trash. Of course it said that a county can add additional rules.

Surely a government official would not make a mistake.…..

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                Well, he sure wouldn’t like it when I burn. I usually have a big ole pile and the flames are almost tree top tall.
                Or an ATV...

Comment

I live in the country and burn brush piles occasionally. We have a moderately busy road in front of my property. I was burning a pile on the front part of my property and someone from the local volunteer fire department stopped by and came to the fence. Said someone driving by reported an 'out of control' fire. He saw what was going on and asked that I call to let them know any time I was burning.
                  Next time I was burning a pile, I called FD. They acted like I was bothering them and said 'you don't need to call us'.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                    Should have gave him a rake and told him to keep the coals pushed in.
                    I like this idea. Then sit on your back porch with a cold one and give him a thumbs up when he looks up at you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      I got suspended from Catholic grade school for lighting matches. Dang nun just couldn’t mind her own business.

Comment

We were turned in for burning trash once. Talked with TCEQ over the deal. It's like a 39 page booklet on what you can't do. Ridiculous. I'm on the VFD also. It's nice to have people call Central before they burn so that if a Karen does call in, dispatch can stop it there. Best compromise we have come up with. That way, if people see smoke they will still call in, then dispatch can tell them whether it's a control burn or not. If it's not a control burn, they can send us out to deal with it.

Comment

I can appreciate a neighbor watching out for danger. Sometimes people are just different and can't see the others point of view. Wish him well and send him down the road. I think you handled it perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                            So with the rain we had last night and the rain coming I decided to burn my brush pile behind my house. I have lived here 4 years and burn at least 3 times a year. I light the fire and walk to my house(about 60 yards to put up my gas can and when I return there is a guy standing by my pond near the fire. I ask him if I can help him and is on the phone with 911 reporting an uncontrolled burn. I talk to the dispatch and tell them the situation and that it is under control. He proceeds to tell me what his idea of a controlled burn is and I tell him I don’t care. He exclaimed that his house is only two houses away and I explained that it was up wind and in no danger. Then I told him to get off my property and since I am a peace officer I have him a trespass warning and told him he would be arrested if he came back on my property. Then he wanted to make it out like I was unreasonable. I tolerate a lot of stuff, but don’t come on my property and tell me what I need to do!

Rant Over thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            He wanted to get the law involved, so you should have followed through with trespassing charges. Trust me, until you show him you mean business, he will be in yours more than you like.

Comment

I would have been ****** if came on my property and did that too. I would not be ****** at someone just driving by to check on it. To me, thats just checking to make sure something isn't wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Several years ago a neighbor to my in-laws hired a relative to clear some land. Mostly cedar and mesquite. They made 2 rather large(30’X60’ and about 8’ tall) brush piles right on the edge of my in-laws property, then lit it up, and drove home!!! I was recovering from pneumonia but was still out there with a water hose and a shovel to try to prevent it from getting out of control till the VFD got out there to put it out. There’s not been too many times when I have ever been more ticked off than that. We never saw those guys again after that.

Comment

Working...
                                X