Talk me out of an inflatable kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me out of an inflatable kayak

Here's the scenario... We have access to a place to stay on the beach in Florida and have had for years. It's also 5 minutes from the bay and there are multiple brackish lakes close by. The condo is on the 4th floor and has only a small storage. Regular yaks are not an option, owned or rented.

The kayak below could be used for the day, then easily be transported up the stairwell and into our condo for balcony storage while we're there. It will make it up the stairwell no problem.

So talk me out of this... Aside from the fact it's inflatable what are the cons?
    The uses would be calm surf, bay, and lakes.

Constructed in AeroULTRA™ military-grade PVC, the BOTE Lono Aero inflatable kayak is truly unmatched in durability, performance, and portability. Shop here.

If you think y’all would like it then get it.

Comment

I have had one expensive hobie and two cheap sea eagle inflatables. The biggest con is after the warranty period expires you are on your own trying to fix tears, seam blowouts, repairs, ect. Some problems are fixable but you will encounter problems that you can't fix and the third party shops will tell you your better off buying a new one. Consider the inflatables disposable sometime after the warranty expires.
      A couple tips: relieve pressure that builds up throughout the day, don't store tightly folded, don't store in same room as gasoline (it eats away the adhesive).

Comment

Can you swim?

Comment

I got a buddy of mine with an inflatable that is useless. Its out of warranty and the seam blew out between the floor and the side.

Like the one in your link, he paid over $1K for it. He is wishing he would have just bought a regular sit on top kayak.

Like you he was drawn to the portability of the inflatable kayak.

What he does today is plan in advance and just rents a kayak.

Comment

Never been in an inflatable kayak, but if you were to try a float trip in a inflatable raft going down the slow running in summer Pecos river against the south wind coming upriver in down there, you'd never ever get in, on, or otherwise any inflatable as a means of transportation. Dang thing worked us put near to death, after 2 days we bailed turned around and went back. We made it back to where we started in 1 day going upriver but with the wind!

Comment

Get a tube with some fins

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're trying to use a kayak in salt bays, youre gonna go flat on oysters at some point.

Comment

Get yourself a good life jacket. And don't take anything that can't get wet.

Can you mount one to your truck and secure with a lock?

Comment

Florida, small lakes & ponds= alligators

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                      Can you mount one to your truck and secure with a lock?
                      Unfortunately that doesn't work with the parking situation there. Not enough height in the structured parking and it's too long sticking out the back.

90% of the use would be off the beach where there is little chance of puncture (except for hooks or big gafftop fins), but I do believe the GS has successfully talked me out of wasting some $$. I think we'll keep on shore fishing.

Comment

Don’t waste your money!!

Comment

not very durable...... hope you like to swim and are not fishing from it.

Comment

We have a cheap inflatable yak that has served us well because it can be taken as checked luggage at the airports. We kayak’d in Glacier NP with it. We’ve used it at some local parks and stuff too. Convenient and sturdy. They are much more durable and sturdy than people who have never used them think and I wouldn’t hesitate to fish out of one like you’re looking at.

I also have regular sit on top fishing kayaks that I love and are better for the job, but do what is best for your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X