Which Thermal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Thermal

I need some advice you guys that know Thermals... I am getting ready to drop the hammer on one.. I have looked through an ATN and a Trijicon and yes there is a HUGE difference in image quality and price but Trijicon is not out of the question.. I want to get as good as I can get for as cheap as I can get it.. I don't want to buy junk though.. Are there any others I need to consider?
    Thanks..

I have only used a Pulsar RXQ30V Thermal.

I watch the late night vision show reviews on YouTube. If I had the budget here's my top 3 dream scopes

Thermion XG 50 uses the same BAE core that Trijicon uses, but it auto nucs without having to put the objective lens cover on.

Halo LR has the best image.

Super Hogster

Checkout The Late Night Vision Podcast.

They recently released reviews of their best scope in a price range.

Here's a link to their YouTube page.
    The First and Only Podcast Dedicated to all Things Night Vision Hog and Predator Hunting!!! Join Jason, Owner of Outdoor Legacy Gear, and Hans from the HansETX YouTube Hunting Channel, as they discuss night vision optics, rifles...and basically anything else that can be used to drop a hog or coyote!! You can also find "The Late Night Vision Show" Podcast on all podcast sharing services: iTunes, Podcast App, iPhone, iOS, Anchor App, Google Play, Android... This is a light-hearted show with many laughs and silly hunting stories, but with Jason's expertise in the world of night-vision optics and Hans' experience in the field hunting 7 days a week, you'll definitely walk away from each episode with a few nuggets of knowledge. Episodes come out weekly...so be sure to subscribe to catch every show!!! Good Luck in the Fields! -TLNVS Email questions and/or show topic ideas to: thelatenightvisionshow@gmail.com Follow on Facebook and Instagram @thelatenightvisionshow

@Outdoor Legacy is a Supporting Member of TBH. He also owns Outdoor Legacy Gear. Outdoor Legacy Gear sponsors The Late Night Vision Show.
    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 01-15-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Bering Optics offers good bang for the buck

Comment

Is your budget $4-$5000 or less than $3000? What are you going to do with it and what ranges are you looking to shoot with it? Do you want an awesome picture to show videos to friends and upload to social media or just be able to identify and hunt animals? SOOOO many options. A lot of people will say stay away from ATN, but I have one of the Thor 4's and it has a pretty solid image and features compared to others in its class and it autonucs without needing to be covered. Coworker sent 5 thermions back before he got one to work as advertised without a ton of dead pixels out of the box, but Pulsar did take care of him and finally upgraded him. My cousin has a pulsar and has had great luck with it. I did have to send my Thor 4 back because I couldn't get it to connect to my phone to watch images live, but they sent a prepaid label and i got it back within 3 weeks repaired and working as advertised. We use Flir at work but that's not an option anymore unless you buy used and they wouldn't be my first choice anyway.
        Last edited by dbelcher269; 01-15-2021, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Trijicon or halo if you can afford either. Trust me...its better to buy once. Ive owned a few. I currently have the reap ir and its great. I wont be buying another. Pulsar does have good bang for your buck. But if u can afford it and dont wanta buy and sell multiple times, go with the trijicon or halo.

Comment

Outdoor legacy (Jason) is the man you need to talk to. I highly recommend any pulsar products. They are great and have been for the entire time I’ve been behind one! The Thermion or trail models are top notch.

DO NOT waste your money on any ATN or Sightmark junk. You will regret it I promise

Comment

You need to tell us your price range, and what kind of hunting you will do!

Trijicon REAP or Halo LR are the cream of the crop.

I like the Thermion and XG50 below them.

If money isn't an issue and you want a great thermal I would not go below these.

ATN, Sightmark, and anything under $4000 I would run lol

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                Trijicon or halo if you can afford either. Trust me...its better to buy once. Ive owned a few. I currently have the reap ir and its great. I wont be buying another. Pulsar does have good bang for your buck. But if u can afford it and dont wanta buy and sell multiple times, go with the trijicon or halo.
                BOOM!

Buy once cry one.

This man is spot on

There are only 2 buddies who have had a scope and never bought another. They bought had REAPS

Everyone else I know is always upgrading

Comment

Thanks fellas.. I will be hunting hogs and coyotes out to 300 or so and I want the best I can get for the money and will spend $5,000+ if that is what it takes..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    Thanks fellas.. I will be hunting hogs and coyotes out to 300 or so and I want the best I can get for the money and will spend $5,000+ if that is what it takes..
                    HALO LR or REAP IR

I have never personally used a HALO LR but talked with many of the top names in the business who I trust who have run them along with everything else

Comment

I currently have a flir pts233, pulsar trail xq38 and a pulsar XG50..I had a Halo LR but ended up selling it. The image was crazy good but I just prefer the features on pulsars and like to record without cables everywhere. The Flir is pretty much a paperweight in my safe. It never gets used now that I have better thermals.

For $3300ish I think you’d be more than happy with a pulsar thermion xq38..
                      if you want to spend 5k the pulsar XP 50 in the thermion or trail would be very hard to beat..

Hit up Jason with Outdoor legacy and he can get you pointed in the right direction.

If you do end up going with a thermion, get 2 extra batteries.. To me the battery life on them is really the only con
                      Last edited by kkp005; 01-15-2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I have a XQ50 and really like it. Your big question is how close will you be shooting. The closer you are the less magnification you want. Unlike normal optics, the less magnification the more the $$$ in thermal. XQ50 is a pretty good middle of the road, but I would not want a scope with anything larger than 3.5X for the minimum magnification.

Comment

^^^^Thanks fellas.. This is the info I was looking for.. I will hit Jason up..

Comment

I heard halo came out with a new scope, 1/2 the size and great image.

I’ve got the halo lr and it’s very nice, but it won’t kill anymore hogs than a 3000-4000 dollar unit.

Good luck

Comment

No clue about any of them, but the clip on from burris really intrigues me.

Comment

Working...
                              X