2022 Mountain Goat Hunt with Babine Guide Outfitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Mountain Goat Hunt with Babine Guide Outfitters

The quest for this hunt started at the 2020 Dallas Safari Club convention when I met Jack Hooper with Babine Guide Outfitters. I was there looking for an archery mountain goat hunt and Babine Guide Outfitters was on the short list. After 2 unsuccessful bow hunts for mountain goats (I killed a goat with a rifle on the last day on the first hunt), I had an idea of what I was looking for that would give me the best opportunity for success.
    My first mountain goat hunt was in Southeast Alaska. The weather was really bad and greatly limited the days we could hunt. My second mountain goat hunt was in Northeast BC. I had great weather, but the area was very steep and made it almost impossible to get close enough to the goats for a bow shot.
    I liked Babine’s area because it was further inland than Southeast Alaska, so the weather should be a little better. But a lot of the mountains were still more like coastal mountains than the steep Rocky Mountain range in Northeast BC. I also liked that their hunt doesn’t involve a float plane flight. So, if the weather is bad, you can bear hunt around the lodge. This sure beats sitting in a tent for days at a time in the mountains waiting for the weather and visibility to improve. It also didn’t hurt that Babine had so many great reviews.

I originally booked the hunt for September 2021. Covid restrictions caused my youngest daughter to postpone her March 2021 wedding and it was moved to the first weekend in October2021. Lloyd and Jack Hooper were nice enough to let me reschedule to 2022, thus saving my 36-year marriage.
    I arrived in Smithers on September 9th. Lloyd met me and another mountain goat hunter at the Smithers Airport and drove us to the lodge. Once there, I organized my gear and met my guide. My guide Gavin was only 23 years old but was mature beyond his years, polite and a very experienced bowhunter. We went for a quick bear hunt after dinner but didn’t see any bears.

Comment

The next morning, we loaded our packs into the truck and drove to a trailhead. Once there we rode in a UTV for several miles down a forest trail until a creek ended the ATV trail. The first several miles of hiking were fairly easy. The trail was an old road that was formerly used to access a mine. The brush was really thick and overgrown in places and shale slides had covered the road in a few places. But overall, it was a smooth trail with a gradual grade and way better than most mountain trails. We had to leave that trail for the last 1/2 mile or so and that section was really steep. And the boggy ground and full packs made for a tough climb.
      Attached Files

Comment

Super cool. Youre still uploading. Ill wait.

Comment

Once we made it to the alpine, we immediately started seeing mountain goats. We set up camp so we would have a view of the mountain where the goats were expected to be. This mountain was fairly flat at the top with lots of grass for the goats and ridges and trees for stalking cover. After setting up camp we went to a place to glass and inventory the goats in the area and possibly find something to stalk.
          That afternoon we saw around 15 mountain goats. About an hour before dark, we saw 2 billies on the top of the mountain. They were about 300 yards away when we first saw them. One was mature and the other was younger. We got to around 80 yards, then the wind swirled and scared off the goats.
          Attached Files

Comment

That night we were treated to a full moon rising over the mountain range before calling it a night.
            Attached Files

Comment

The next morning, we were up at first light and was treated to a beautiful mountain sunrise.
              Attached Files

Comment

We immediately started seeing mountain goats from our camp. The weather was great. Clear skies and not too cold. In fact, the weather was great the entire time we were mountain goat hunting. For a mountain goat hunt it felt like cheating.
                Attached Files

Comment

That morning we saw 3 mature billies feed across the top of the mountain and eventually they all bedded down in the same generally area. Gavin recommended we find a spot near the where the billies bedded and wait for them to come back out to feed. That morning we saw 28 mountain goats.
                  Attached Files

Comment

We walked to the top of the mountain and found some cover on a high knob to glass and wait for the goats to come out to feed. After a few hours of seeing nothing, we went to look at some bedding areas on the other side of the mountain top. We didn’t see anything there, so we headed back to our glassing knob. When we got to our glassing knob there were 4 billies feeding about 200 yards from the glassing knob. 3 were shooters.

Comment

Keep it coming!!
                      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

tag

Comment

Great start so far! I’m in

Comment

I’m in. And…..

Comment