1st Rut Hunt w/ My Li’l Buddy - BBD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Rut Hunt w/ My Li’l Buddy - BBD

I started taking my son deer hunting with me two years ago when he was 3. Our first trip I had zero expectations. The past two seasons I have waited and taken him late season for some doe patrol. He absolutely loves going and this year I decided I’d take him on my annual Thanksgiving week rut hunt.

We had hunted Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning without seeing a single mature buck. Lots of youngsters out cruising. Monday morning we watched a young 8 for a while and my son kept saying “shoot him, shoot him, Dad.” After that buck moved on, I explained why we don’t want to shoot those younger deer.

We get to Monday evening and close to last light we have a little older 8-pointer come into the field looking for does. My son of course wants me to shoot it, and I think really long and hard about it. I finally put the gun down and tell him it’s not quite what we are looking for. Then, just like that, it happens. I see the big body jump the fence into the field and I quickly turn and tell my son we’ve got a shooter. He’s about 500 yards away but comes in on a rope to run off the smaller 8 that we’ve been watching.

The smile on his face was priceless! I can’t wait for him to be the one pulling the trigger! This one will be hanging in his room (per his request [emoji2]).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job! Great buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on a great buck...

Comment

That’s a giant congratulations on the buck and the memories y’all made together.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Great Buck

Comment

Congratulations on a real nice buck! Even more on spending time in the woods with your son. His new wall decoration will inspire him for years to come.

Comment

Man that's a nice buck!Congrats

Comment

What a buck. With a great memory

Comment

Great buck...there is nothing like sharing that experience in the woods with your son. My son(now 7) has been hunting with me for several years on a lot of hunts and watched me kill deer, last year he shot his first doe and the excitement he got out of that was like nothing I have ever experienced. Congratulations!!

Comment

congrats on a stud!

Comment

Great buck, congrats

Comment

Congrats on a great buck!
                          Awesome story and good patience.
                          What a teaching moment.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                              Congrats on a great buck!
                              Awesome story and good patience.
                              What a teaching moment.
                              Agreed on all, but especially the teaching moment sentiment. Nice work.

Comment

Working...
                              X