A Coonhound moves to Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Coonhound moves to Texas

My wife went on a fabulous trip to Thailand with her girlfriends over Thanksgiving.

And left me with the boys.

So, I took them to see their Grandfather.
    We have some old, family land that is used as a tree farm. It’s remote.

Click image for larger version

Name:	marble valley.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	25164925

Name:	sawmill.jpg
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	25164926

We’re messing around by the old homestead and a young, female hound just walks out of the woods.

She was timid, but eventually approached my boys (was afraid of me) seemed to be favoring a rear leg and had torn a dew claw.
    No collar.

No farms or houses for miles, just Appalachian mountains and forest.
    Some hunting in that area, but this particular county does not allow hunting deer with dogs.

We brought her back to Dad’s farm. Made some calls to find her a home, didn’t happen.
    Not a lot of good options.

She’s not chipped, no tattoos, but likes her kennel and is gentle.

38 lbs, fast and ridiculously loud.
    She doesn’t listen, doesn’t mind, doesn’t know her name, doesn’t know how to walk on lead and will not come when called.
    But I think she is awesome..

Name:	marbles.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	25164927

Name:	marbles2.jpg
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	25164929

Name:	coosa.jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	25164928

Here’s the questions:
    Is she a Treeing Walker?
    Can a decent, blood tracking dog be made out of a coon hound?

We’re going to try, training e-collar on its way.
    Any advice from experience would be much appreciated..

I think my wife learned a valuable lesson about leaving me alone with the boys for 12 days.

Treeing Walker. Chasing coons and cougars are in their DNA. But she would probably work out a blood trail just fine after she knows what she's supposed to do. Take them boys coon hunting! It's a blast.

Comment

Appears to be a purebred Treeing Walker. They can make good coon dogs but they have bred up most of them with hotter noses so not as good for lion as they once were. Yes, they can make excellent blood trailing dogs once you get a handle on them.
      Adios,
      Gary

Comment

Yes, it’s a Walker Dog. Mine died at 14 a couple years ago and was a spoiled house dog.
        Never trained her on blood but brought her out twice while helping friends track a deer at night, and she found them both

Walkers make a good buddy

Comment

Man she sure is a pretty pup. My dad used to run hounds and we spent lots of time hunting raccoons.

I love them! Either way she should be a great companion.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q36UxJDR3mk"]Treeing Walker Coonhound baying - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Awesome Video!!!

Comment

That's a awesome video...

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
                That's a awesome video...
                Indeed.

Bet you can train her, patient persistence and time. Have fun.

Comment

Can't help with the dog other than she is good looking.

But I like your FJ 60, looks like mine!

Comment

Good looking hound!
                    Your boys will have a time training her.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                      Man she sure is a pretty pup. My dad used to run hounds and we spent lots of time hunting raccoons.

I love them! Either way she should be a great companion.

Treeing Walker Coonhound baying - YouTube
                      I like Jethro.

Comment

Very Cool!

Comment

The Appalachian mountains is a magical place. That walker was gifted to you my the hillbilly gods. You have to keep her now and any K9 can be trained to blood track. Some are just better then others.

Comment

Walkers are great dogs but they hunt fast. You better be in great shape to even think about keeping up with her in the woods.

Comment

Oh man, that pup brings back memories for me!! first deer I ever shot ahead of dogs was shot ahead of a walker that looked just like that pup!! Always told my dad I wanted me one of those long-legged beagles!! That pup's shape and stance makes me think you got the real deal right there. She's no mut for sure. As old as she is now, you'll have to work her slowly with discipline FIRST before you try anything else. She didn't get the bonding she would have with you and the boys that she would have had she "grown up" to this point with y'all as a family member. That dog will do whatever you tell her to do once you and it learn to speak/understand the same language... It is just as important that you learn to understand what the pup is trying to tell you as what you are trying to tell the pup... Be careful with a training eCollar. Over-use or improper use of those things can break the spirit of any dog, especially a fast hunter like that.
                              Guarantee you that sucker's got a nose, so all you have to do is show it what you want it to look for... blood, coons, deer, you name it...
                              Good luck and please keep us posted! That will be an exciting project for you and the boys!!

Comment

Working...
                              X