Brick house / sun advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brick house / sun advice

We have a red brick home that’s shaded for the most part except from the west. That wall gets smoking hot, what can I use to cover the brick with on that side of the house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tree?

My house is the same. A crepe myrtle planted about 3 years ago has grown well and offers some cooling.

Only thing you can do is block the sun.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

My only advice is trees also

BP

Comment

Could you make a flower bed and plant some abelia? Maybe a canyon creek or Edward goucher option?

Then you could also do crepe myrtle or dogwoods outside of that, and/or Chinese Pistache tree
        Last edited by MLank; 05-31-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Trees, shrubs and or vine like plants that will shade most of the wall and minimally the foundation.... It's amazing how much heat an exposed foundation absorbs and radiates inside the home.

There are shade cloths/sails that would help bring the shade in immediately if the area lends itself to placing the necessary hardware.

Comment

Yes
            2 years ago I put in a hedge of trident maple, they don’t look like they’ll help until next year

Should o whitewash the west brick?

Comment

I

Comment

Could put up some lattice for immediate shade, possibly adding a screen, with some kind of trees, shrubs, or vine for long term.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I planted trumpet vine on my west wall several years ago. It was great shade really fast. But DO NOT plant that crap. It is unbelievably invasive. It grew into every crack and crevice and started to tear up the soffit. It even sent roots all the way to the east side of my house - under the whole house - and got into the sewer line and completely stopped up a toilet. I cut it all down and scraped it off the walls. I poisoned it. I still have shoots of it popping up on the west side of my house. I gut them down, poison them, etc.... It never dies.

Comment

This is a North TX idea, don’t know how it might work elsewhere. Planting trees or shrubs will not provide shade right away, unless you spend lots of money on large trees or shrubs. Trees drop leaves in gutters, so that’s a negative. You might consider planting holly bush of some kind. They are year round green for providing shade, and don’t drop leaves. Most of them are pretty low maintenance and hardy too.

Comment

Same issue here. On hot days i wet brick...really helps the ac catch up in that room

Comment

It's CRAPE Myrtle (not crepe).

Jasmine will grow quickly up the wall, tolerate the sun, and make a nice smelling flower.

Couple that with a few trees, and you're all set.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post

Jasmine will grow quickly up the wall, tolerate the sun, and make a nice smelling flower.

Have you ever had a crepe with chocolate and banana?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post

"Crape myrtle (or crepe myrtle)"

Learn how to plant, care for and prune crape myrtle trees. Explore the many types and sizes and discover which ones are best for your garden. Get advice for watering and fertilizing crape myrtles and learn reasons why your tree might not be blooming.

I agree that the Jasmine is a good idea. I planted some along a fence in the yard and was amazed at how well it's done.

Comment

A pergola would help a first floor and add value.

Add a white wash to brick

Paint

Plant fast growing trees

Comment

Working...
                              X