Advice on a water pump set up at camp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on a water pump set up at camp.

We go thru those cheap green/blue pumps with a small pressure tank from Harbor Freight at a rate of 1-2 a year.
    We have a 3200 gallon poly tank that goes straight to the cheap pump then underground and up In to the mobile home. We have good pressure to the 1 bath room and kitchen with this set up.
    We don't have a dedicated power source to the pump. We run it into a plug inside the mobile home
    My questions.
    1. Do we need a bigger pump with a separate pressure tank? If so how big of a pump? And how big of a pressure tank?
    2. We have room in our main power source to have a dedicated line for the pump. Should we do that?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

I have a 110volt on demand pump, you can set it up to 65psi, I have it set on about 38psi
    It supplies 3 campers, unlimited water, headed to lease today
    I’ll get a pic for you, bought it off Amazon

Comment

Following. I was about to post the same question. I have a water well about 500’ away from where I’m making a deer camp. I was thinking of running a line from there to the poly tank. Then I figured I need some kind of pump to give me enough pressure inside the camper.

Comment

If you are going through two a year, cheap isn't cheap, it is actually quite expensive over the long run. There are literally dozens of good pumps on the market. Go for a 230 volt single phase and it will cut the amperage requirement in half compared to a 115 volt. Names that come to mind are Grundfos, Aurora, Burks, Franklin. Set it up with a pressure tank. Your pump seals will last much longer and your electric consumption savings will pay for the tank and pressure switch fairly quickly. If you don't have a pressure tank, you at least need to have a bypass that allows a small amount of water to flow through the pump and back into the source tank. I've seen pumps left running against a closed valve actually get so hot that the water in the pump housing gets so hot that it melts the mechanical seal bellows. Just a small amount of water flowing at all times will keep cool water passing through the pump. That is still a Mickey Mouse set-up for a pressure pump. Buying good equipment and setting it up correctly should give you many years of service on the mechanical side of the system. Unfortunately, dirt dobbers and fire ants can be a nuisance on the control side of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
          If you are going through two a year, cheap isn't cheap, it is actually quite expensive over the long run. There are literally dozens of good pumps on the market. Go for a 230 volt single phase and it will cut the amperage requirement in half compared to a 115 volt. Names that come to mind are Grundfos, Aurora, Burks, Franklin. Set it up with a pressure tank. Your pump seals will last much longer and your electric consumption savings will pay for the tank and pressure switch fairly quickly. If you don't have a pressure tank, you at least need to have a bypass that allows a small amount of water to flow through the pump and back into the source tank. I've seen pumps left running against a closed valve actually get so hot that the water in the pump housing gets so hot that it melts the mechanical seal bellows. Just a small amount of water flowing at all times will keep cool water passing through the pump. That is still a Mickey Mouse set-up for a pressure pump. Buying good equipment and setting it up correctly should give you many years of service on the mechanical side of the system. Unfortunately, dirt dobbers and fire ants can be a nuisance on the control side of the system.
          Your correct ..it is getting expensive replacing them. How big of a pressure tank with a 230 single phase pump? Two things I stink at bad are plumbing and electricity!

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
              If you are going through two a year, cheap isn't cheap, it is actually quite expensive over the long run.
              If only people understood this simple logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                Your correct ..it is getting expensive replacing them. How big of a pressure tank with a 230 single phase pump? Two things I stink at bad are plumbing and electricity!

Get a Grundfos Scala. No pressure tank needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Acquaer-...C075/302910770. This is the pump we use along with a 32 gallon pressure tank. The pumps being feed from a 2500 gallon Poly tank. Been working great for us going on 5 years now.

Comment

Working...
                  X