kids in Jiu Jitsu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kids in Jiu Jitsu

Anyone have kids in Jiu Jitsu? My 10 year old had her glasses taken by a kid on the bus last week and he refused to give them back. I told her next time she needs to punch the kid in the throat, my wife was not proud of that. She said she did not feel like hitting anyone but would like to put him in a headlock. So today she starts a free trail at Renzo Gracie Jiu Jitsu and I have no idea what to expect.

I've always told her she will not get in trouble for defending herself, maybe this will give her a couple tools for self defense as well. We shall see

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
    Anyone have kids in Jiu Jitsu? My 10 year old had her glasses taken by a kid on the bus last week and he refused to give them back. I told her next time she needs to punch the kid in the throat, my wife was not proud of that. She said she did not feel like hitting anyone but would like to put him in a headlock. So today she starts a free trail at Renzo Gracie Jiu Jitsu and I have no idea what to expect.

I've always told her she will not get in trouble for defending herself, maybe this will give her a couple tools for self defense as well. We shall see
    I have a bb in jj, and nothing bad to say about it, but I would look more at taekwondo, or good old fashioned boxing before jj in this instance.
    If the boy tries to wrestle her, then yeah she may come out ahead after a few yrs of training, but she would probably take a pretty good beating getting to that headlock.
    The idea of throwing him in a headlock to get your glasses back is a little far fetched, although entirely plausible.
    Some type of mma training is your best bet imo.
    Anything is better than nothing though when it comes to the possibility of getting your azz beat.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      I have a bb in jj, and nothing bad to say about it, but I would look more at taekwondo, or good old fashioned boxing before jj in this instance.
      If the boy tries to wrestle her, then yeah she may come out ahead after a few yrs of training, but she would probably take a pretty good beating getting to that headlock.
      The idea of throwing him in a headlock to get your glasses back is a little far fetched, although entirely plausible.
      Some type of mma training is your best bet imo.
      Anything is better than nothing though when it comes to the possibility of getting your azz beat.
      Thanks, The only fight training I had was Krav for work and that was an intense week class.

Comment

Hate to tell you this, but the boy who took her glasses has a crush on her.

Good luck and welcome to the teenage years LOL

Also, my kids are going to do BJJ, even if it's just a year. Research the gym you go to. Make sure they make it fun for a 10 yo. If it's not fun, your daughter will not last long.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          Thanks, The only fight training I had was Krav for work and that was an intense week class.
          Any type of martial arts training should be intense, extremely intense, otherwise it's a waste of time.
          Unless your Royce, jj shouldn't be considered a stand alone defense system.

Comment

My kids are not into it, but I love watching the Gracie Bullyproof videos on youtube. I think its a fantastic thing for kids to learn.

My son does football training three nights a week and there is a class at the facility doing BJJ.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chsD7gZdZw0&list=PL13F526797F2FE41F"]Gracie Bullyproof - Prepare Your Child for Life - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

BJJ is great for kids. Wish my son had stuck with it. It teaches discipline, fantastic for strength, balance, and teaching leverage

Comment

I'm with MH. I trained in jiu-jitsu and muay thai when I was in my 20's and 30's. I would put a kid in a well rounded mma class that includes jiu-jitsu along with some sort of striking. Ground game is great but you can sure take a whipping before you get them to the ground if you don't have stand up. A good balance is a must in my opinion if your trying to teach a kid self defense. My son started when he was 4 in a karate based program and it was good for him. I personally love muay thai but there a lot of systems out there that are effective.

Comment

This sounds like a little bit of an overreaction. My first thought was, that kid probably has a crush on her and is trying to get her attention and doesn't know that he's being an idiot about it. Preparing for the classes is completely fine but I wouldn't encourage her to fight another kid unless she was in harms way. This is a 10 year old at school, not a mugging in a back alley.

Comment

Originally posted by FCoDxDart View Post
                    This sounds like a little bit of an overreaction. My first thought was, that kid probably has a crush on her and is trying to get her attention and doesn't know that he's being an idiot about it. Preparing for the classes is completely fine but I wouldn't encourage her to fight another kid unless she was in harms way. This is a 10 year old at school, not a mugging in a back alley.
                    Ya'll are right on the crush part. I just want her to learn some skills that could help her in life, She brought it up which means she has some interest in the subject which I think will help her keep with it a little more. This is actually the first thing other than fishing that she has wanted go to do

Comment

I would agree with Madhatter on this. BJJ is ground game. Japanese form is better because it is Judo Jiu Jitsu. Start on your feet and throw them to the ground. Honestly I would find a MMA gym for kids. 2 days ground game 2 days stand up. Our twin boys have been at it for about 8 months and they have learned a lot. Like mentioned its also about discipline, respect, etc. They are 9 and small for their age. Can't throw a baseball but can throw a punch!

Comment

Take a look at Krav Maga, or any other nonsport oriented martial arts. Nothing wrong with Bjj.

Comment

What Madhatter and Pineywoods said, for sure. Getting a presumably bigger, and male bully in a headlock at that age may, or may not work out with some decent BJJ skills. And as stated, even if it did work out the process of getting there would be ugly.

Comment

I would start a kid out with something that includes punch, kick and blocking first. Nothing wrong with judo or jj, I just really feel like everyone should know how to strike and block first. Lots of family friendly TKD out there. I'm not a huge fan of TKD, but it's perfect for kids and beginners. Might be a kid friendly Muay Thai class in your area. That would be best imo.
                            Last edited by Birddog66; 01-24-2022, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by East6101 View Post
                              I would agree with Madhatter on this. BJJ is ground game. Japanese form is better because it is Judo Jiu Jitsu. Start on your feet and throw them to the ground. Honestly I would find a MMA gym for kids. 2 days ground game 2 days stand up. Our twin boys have been at it for about 8 months and they have learned a lot. Like mentioned its also about discipline, respect, etc. They are 9 and small for their age. Can't throw a baseball but can throw a punch!
                              Makes since, I'll look into it

Comment

Working...
                              X