Pole Feeder...Here you go Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pole Feeder...Here you go Mark

I promised I'd take pics of one of my pole feeders. Surprise is that I actually remembered.

I've used Straight Shooters on these until this last year. Some of them have run for years, others are very unreliable. Also the blades are rubber and wear out. The unit on this PF is a Moultrie. It's digital and has been very reliable, the only thing I worry about is that the deer and cows can lick corn out with their tongues. Hasn't been a problem....yet. I've switched to the Remington Directional and I think it's going to solve all problems. Seems to be very well made and I don't think anything can get to the corn while it's in the unit.

I hope the pics answer your questions. I've attached a PVC sch 40 that's just big enough to slide over my EMT that I use to hold the feeder. It's the size EMT under 2 inches that will slide over a T post. The PVC may be 2 inches. You can see a slot cut into the PVC at the bottom. There's a hole drilled in the EMT above the level of the T post that I use a tent post stake to set the height of the feeder and the slot keeps the feeder from turning.

The T post is driven in the ground a good ways to keep it from leaning. The feeder unit then goes over the T post. I then slide the EMT over the T and in the PVC. I can fill the feeder and then slide it up the EMT and anchor it with the tent stake. That's an oil pan with bungees for the lid. If I have my Ranger and can get to the feeder, then I just set it up and fill it from the Ranger. That's easier. good thing is that I can set it up in remote areas and it's easy to fill or just add one bag if I don't know how long I'll use it in one spot. T's can be left in case I want to come back some time in the future and set the pole feeder up and hunt the area again.

Last edited by tuthdoc; 08-05-2008, 09:08 PM.

Do you kill deer out of that blind with it exposed like that? Does it stay out all season long?

Comment

good looking set.

Comment

I killed this one last year. 8 1/2 yo shot at about 16 yards. 140+ 10.

Here's another mature buck. At least 6 1/2. You notice the fork in the mesquite? That's evident in my Pole Feeder thread.

The first buck was killed from that same blind and the second buck is a deer I named Cocktail. He COULD have been killed from that blind. I probably had 15 or more different bucks within 16 yards last year. The morning I killeed that 10, I had to wait for a buck to move that was standing about 6 yards in front of my blind.

Don't believe everything you hear and read.
        Last edited by tuthdoc; 08-05-2008, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I pooh-poohed the directional feeders at first. The more I think about them the more possibilities I can come up with. Thanks for the pictures, Doc.

Comment

You have a PM. Reply please!
            Do you use these pole feeders for mobile purposes? What is the purpose for your using these type feeders?
            How are the directional feeder working out so far overall?

Comment

Never mind I just read your whole thread and realized why you use them! lol
              I do still want to know how the directional timers are working out and if they ever clog?

Comment

Like that, great idea.

Comment

Good stuff as usual from the good Doc!

Comment

Very clever. Thanks for posting!

Comment

John, you say the deer and cows can't get to the corn, but what about coons? This looks like a great idea that I might have to try, but we have so dang many coons, with a small barrel like that, they'd empty it in a day or two... I hate coons about as bad as I do cows!

Comment

i set my blinds ot in the wide open. i shot a buck from 8 yards away out of it this year. they dont mind if they have time to get used to it. i think im gonna make one of those doc

Comment

We use the galvanized water pans for lids on our lube barrels feeders too!

Comment

nice feeder and bucks

Comment

sweet rig right there

Comment

Working...
                              X