The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    We just did a taste test and WOW! I haven’t had the Peak Refuel version, but this was fantastic!

I used one Grand biscuit in each pouch, split in half before FD. I removed one half and broke the other half into pieces before adding about a cup of boiling water.

I sealed the pouch and let it sit for about 8 minutes (insulated with a couple of pot holders.) It looked a little thin, so I added about 1/3 cup additional water and mixed to desired consistency.

Hannah, Jeanette and I tasted and were very pleasantly surprised! (I expected the biscuits to be soggy.)

The sausage/gravy was perfect. The biscuit was soft on the outside and a little firmer in the middle (which is essentially opposite of what you get with a normal biscuit.)

I had saved the top half of the biscuit in case the part that was in from the beginning was too soft or soggy. It wasn’t, but I decided to test it with a piece of “unrehydrated” biscuit, and actually preferred the texture difference of the crunchy biscuit!

The portion was more than enough for one meal, IMO.

I’m going to see if I can find a Peak Refuel meal and do a comparison video on the mountain when we go to Durango later this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve got both Mtn house and Peak, and I can tell yours looks better, and will have more spice. Mtn house is good but I have to add a lot of hot sauce or additional seasoning.

The peak has more flavor(more like gravy has a better bacon grease base) then the Mtn house.

Yours has ALOT more sausage too which I think is what both the above lack the most of.

Comment

We just did a taste test and WOW! I haven’t had the Peak Refuel version, but this was fantastic!

I used one Grand biscuit in each pouch, split in half before FD. I removed one half and broke the other half into pieces before adding about a cup of boiling water.

I sealed the pouch and let it sit for about 8 minutes (insulated with a couple of pot holders.) It looked a little thin, so I added about 1/3 cup additional water and mixed to desired consistency.

Hannah, Jeanette and I tasted and were very pleasantly surprised! (I expected the biscuits to be soggy.)

The sausage/gravy was perfect. The biscuit was soft on the outside and a little firmer in the middle (which is essentially opposite of what you get with a normal biscuit.)

I had saved the top half of the biscuit in case the part that was in from the beginning was too soft or soggy. It wasn’t, but I decided to test it with a piece of “unrehydrated” biscuit, and actually preferred the texture difference of the crunchy biscuit!

I’m going to see if I can find a Peak Refuel meal and do a comparison video on the mountain when we go to Durango later this month.

The food looks great! thank you for sharing the update.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
        It’s almost chile season. I wantto get you some fresh local chile. The flavor profiles are a bit different then from down south. You can freeze dry it. We should start seeing some toward the end of July.

How is the wife’s knee doing? My wife got hers done about 14 weeks ago. She is ready to get back on the trails already.

Wife’s knee is great! She’s going to test it out on the trails!

I’ll be looking forward to trying the chiles!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I’m excited to see this. Just got a freeze dryer myself and am excited about the food possibilities for out west. The worst part of hunting out there is the food!

Comment

Are these freeze driers or dehydrators you guys are using?

The freeze driers I see on the web are in the $2,500 price range.Is that what they cost?

Comment

Deadline for secondary Colorado draw is July 5th….

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

The freeze driers I see on the web are in the $2,500 price range.Is that what they cost?

Yes and that’s what they cost. Really only two companies that make food ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

That was my first reaction, too! LOL! But I ultimately talked myself into buying one (although I bought used at a lower price) and don’t regret it! I have a video on YouTube outlining the reasons why I pulled the trigger.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Hannah and I pan seared some fish (ling and sierra mackerel) with an artichoke/caper risotto last weekend. I followed that up this week with shrimp and grits.

I freeze dried the leftovers for each, and then packaged them in individual meal pouches to take on our trip to Colorado.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I saw this on NWS Albuquerque it is a photo of the burn scar erosion in Ruidoso. Eagle Creek Rd. Monsoon season meets burn scars. The photo was taken by the Lincoln county emergency management.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I'll be out there in September scouting.

Love seeing the green grass from all the recent rains. Planning to look at some of the Three Rivers burn and hoping to see lots of green.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bump to get this thread active again.

I set up a trail cam ‘up the road’ in a small creek with fresh tracks in the national forest. He’s small, but big bro’ might be around too in a month.

SW Montana has been HOT, it was 99 yesterday. In the mountains it’s still very green. I’m hoping the elk have enough feed to ‘hang out’ there and don’t all move to the hay pivots on private land.

Comment

I am training hard, trying to be ready for Septembers elk hunt in Alberta and Davis Mountains Aouadad hunt in October!
                            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

40 arrows a day last few weeks, working out like crazy, feel great. Come on September! Tired of Texas Summers

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                                40 arrows a day last few weeks, working out like crazy, feel great. Come on September! Tired of Texas Summers

X2 less the 40 arrows a day and working out like crazy. [emoji12]

Seriously, I’m shooting 30 most days and hitting the gym regularly. I put a lot of stock into the first arrow each day. It’s really the only one that counts. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to amp up my cardio efforts yet due to a foot issue. Im in good shape so I don’t think it’s too late to get it done the next 5 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X