Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could pick one high percentage big bass lake in Texas to fish for a week….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you asked me about 5 years ago I'd have said Lake Austin. Txpw ruined it though with introducing grass carp by the thousands went from one of the top lakes in the state to being a mud hole. That being said it would either be fork Rayburn ect for me or Amistad.

Comment

Falcon

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
        This will be a summer trip like in the next few weeks since we got screwed out of Africa. And to answer the question about why Texas and not Alabama, Texas is a hell of a lot closer lol
        Go to east texas then. Fork, Athens, Nacogdoches, Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend. Lots of choices.

I'd probably pick Fork or Rayburn. Rayburn you'll probably catch more fish but my understanding is big ones have been hard to come by for the past couple years. Athens is between the 2 and you can fish it if the wind get to stiff, I know it has grass right now. Probably won't be too many windy days here coming up but this has been the windiest year I can remember.

Big worm, c-rig and 10XD would be my main baits.

Comment

Because of the time of year go chase big striper instead. Go to Texoma and get a guide for a half day. Then just repeat what you learned for a week with your own boat. Run some jugs for catfish at night as well when it's cool. Lots of fun and a great meat run as well.

Comment

If I was bass fishing - it would be between toledo bend or Sam Rayburn.

Comment

Alabama might be closer than falcon...

It's real low as well...

Comment

OH Ivie
                Falcon
                Fork
                And Choke Canyon (this lake is heating up)

Comment

Originally posted by sticknstring View Post
                  If I was bass fishing - it would be between toledo bend or Sam Rayburn.
                  I can tell you for a fact not Tbend. Them fish there got me all confused.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                    Falcon
                    This

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      I can tell you for a fact not Tbend. Them fish there got me all confused.
                      They’re not used to a turquoise ocean perch sled!! Get you a glitter rocket and then ditch pickles will just jump right in!!

You’ll probably die coming from Colorado to fish E Tx this time of year! Heck my ditch pickle buddies here go up North this time of year! Minnesota for numbers or Michigan or New York for smallmouth!

Comment

Falcon is at 14% of capacity and Amistad is at 25%…. I would not fish either lake on a trip coming from Colorado.

Comment

Living in Colorado, I'd be heading to Minnesota. To heck with Texas bass fishing in this heat. Fishing season is open for them as of May. I used to go every year for 1-2 weeks dragging my bass boat all the way. We'd have 100+ fish days with smallmouth and largemouth mixed in plus you could grab a white spinner bait and wear out the pike. Stayed at my buddy's place on Lake Bell Taine near Nevis, MN and fished all the area lakes. Very little pressure as most folks were chasing walleye and pike. The land of 10,000 lakes and its probably loser to 15,000 (counting ones without formal boat ramps. Caught a lot of 3-6 lbs fish.....caught a lot of 1-2 lbers too. I got so spoiled up there I stopped bass fishing in Texas and went to strictly crappie. Plus the temps and scenery are incredible compared to this hot summidge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1399.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	24686773

Name:	IMG_1403.JPG
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	24686774

Name:	IMG_1381.JPG
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	24686775

Name:	Img_1392.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	24686776

Comment

If I had a week it would be Falcon. With the lake that low the fish will be bunched up on main lake points and a lot of them and your chances of catching a lot of solid fish are very high. I would find the rock points and throw cranks and c- rigs all day.

Comment

I haven’t bass fished in a while, but when I did, Purtis Creek was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Living in Colorado, I'd be heading to Minnesota. To heck with Texas bass fishing in this heat. Fishing season is open for them as of May. I used to go every year for 1-2 weeks dragging my bass boat all the way. We'd have 100+ fish days with smallmouth and largemouth mixed in plus you could grab a white spinner bait and wear out the pike. Stayed at my buddy's place on Lake Bell Taine near Nevis, MN and fished all the area lakes. Very little pressure as most folks were chasing walleye and pike. The land of 10,000 lakes and its probably loser to 15,000 (counting ones without formal boat ramps. Caught a lot of 3-6 lbs fish.....caught a lot of 1-2 lbers too. I got so spoiled up there I stopped bass fishing in Texas and went to strictly crappie. Plus the temps and scenery are incredible compared to this hot summidge.

[ATTACH]1093626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1093627[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1093628[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1093629[/ATTACH]
                                One of my bucket list trips is to go north and catch some smallest for a week or 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X