Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the P-51 fans. Turn it up!!

Its better than coffee...

Can you imagine that bad boy back in 1944 buzzing over a field of artillery and tanks dropping a few bombs and then swinging back around and dog fighting with about 5 or 6 messerschmitts and focke-wulfs.

I'd love to know what all they did to that engine, I'd imagine it has to be a turbine conversion. My favorite plane of all time.

Comment

Would love to ride in one. WW II era planes are my favorite

Comment

There is a family by us that has 3 WW2 planes and they fly over the house a couple times a week in the spring. They have one mustang and a T6 their grandfather actually flew in the war.

A granddaughter was on one of the teams my son shot on and they would fly over one of the shoots during lunch. Pretty freaking cool

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IkSQF2MbSU"]P-51 Mustang ~ pure Merlin Sound no announcer - YouTube[/ame]

Can't leave out the Louisiana Kid

Comment

Family member on wife’s side has one that he restored and flies. Think they are from the San Antonio area.

Born in San Antonio, Texas, Bruce “Doc” Winter spent his formative years in Colorado, California, and Texas. From a very young age he knew he loved flying and wanted to serve his country as a fighter pilot in the U.S. Military.
            Last edited by CLR; 06-14-2022, 07:41 AM.

Comment

I bet that sound was entrenched in a lot of soldiers minds on both sides of the battles.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I met an older gentleman that was a pilot in the Red Tail Squadron. He had a P-51 cap on so I struck up a conversation with him. He was amazed that I knew about the Red Tail Squadron in WW II that was made up of all black pilots. This was long before the Tuskegee movie made them famous for their accomplishments. Super nice and stately older gentleman.

Comment

For a couple of years before I went to A&M I worked for a vet in Big Spring. The vet I worked for would talk about a rancher that was a stunt pilot for the movie "battle of Britain". I heard that in lieu of pay he took some of the planes back to his ranch. He converted one to hold a water tank to help fight brush fires. The story was that after fighting a fire and all the folks on the ground would be gathered around a truck bed talking about it he would sneak off for another load of water and would come back and drop it on the guys standing around.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

There's a guy down around encinal that flies a p38 lightning around the area. Haven't seen him in a couple of years though.

Comment

A Great video and a super fine plane... Nothing sounds like a Merlin...

Last edited by PondPopper; 06-14-2022, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I have also been a big fan of WWII aircraft. When I was a kid, I met a lot of former pilots who had flown in the war and even met a Luftwaffe pilot who had immigrated to the U.S. after the war. His best friend here was a Mustang pilot. They surmised they had flown against each other during the war. A few years ago, my wife got me a ticket to ride on a B-17. That was an awesome ride. As you probably know, a lot of these old war birds are flown by and maintained by the Commemorative Air Force, formerly the Confederate Air Force. It takes a ton of money to keep these birds in the air and to restore newly added aircraft. I believe they have an SB2C Helldiver which you can ride in as well. Would love to fly in that one as well before I kick the bucket.

Comment

Love WW II planes, both granddad’s and my great uncle flew in the war. One granddad flew P 38’s, the other was a test pilot in Australia. He died in a plane crash during the war. My great uncle flew B24 bombers in the Pacific.

Comment

There used to be a P38 at the 433rd hangar at Kelly AFB where the 921st and 922nd Air Force Reserve group was stationed. I climbed all over that plane in amazement. I wonder what happened to it? I hope it was refurbished instead of being scrapped. (50 years ago)

Comment

Working...
                              X