No announcement yet.

Youth Rifle weekend question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethics and game laws don't always align. I would rather my kid understand the risk and accept the penalty rather than waste a resource. Same concept as keeping a gut-hooked 19" redfish, counting it against your limit, and risking the fine rather than throwing him back to die only to replace with another in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by paul_day1982 View Post
      Ethics and game laws don't always align. I would rather my kid understand the risk and accept the penalty rather than waste a resource. Same concept as keeping a gut-hooked 19" redfish, counting it against your limit, and risking the fine rather than throwing him back to die only to replace with another in the box.
      Yep, just pick and choose the laws you want to follow and show your impressible kid to do the same. And, people wonder what is wrong with society.

Comment

If a follow up shot is needed, let him do it. He needs to know how to work the action on the rifle anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          If a follow up shot is needed, let him do it. He needs to know how to work the action on the rifle anyway.
          Exactly

Comment

Pick and choose is a little dramatic. I'm saying you are confusing laws and ethics. Ethically you should do anything in your power to keep a gut shot animal from suffering and going to waste. Even if it means calling the GW and explaining what happened and why.

Comment

Yeah,it would;but it probably wouldn't stop me...If it's marginal,just give him/her a little more time..Video the shot,if you're able to.Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

On my son's 1st doe, a kill shot was needed when we got to her (she dropped where she stood, I though she was done by then), and I made him do it point blank. He was 6, pretty soft hearted, and he loves animals...but he did it and didn't bat an eye.

Comment

Little **** is left handed. Knows how to rack another round, just not quick at it yet. I haven't bought him a left handed rifle yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty8186 View Post
                    Little **** is left handed. Knows how to rack another round, just not quick at it yet. I haven't bought him a left handed rifle yet.
                    Could always do the new York reload

Comment

Confidence is High with your Son......Confidence Is High

Comment

Could always do the new York reload
                        Thank you, thank you. I have been trying to come up with that term the other day and forgot it. Two revolvers. Mafia style.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          Yep, just pick and choose the laws you want to follow and show your impressible kid to do the same. And, people wonder what is wrong with society.
                          What's wrong with society is a lack of fathers caring enough to take their son or daughter into the woods... not acting quickly and ethically with a follow-up shot dispatching a wounded animal and then explaining why that decision was made and why it the correct one as opposed to following the letter of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                            What's wrong with society is a lack of fathers caring enough to take their son or daughter into the woods... not acting quickly and ethically with a follow-up shot dispatching a wounded animal and then explaining why that decision was made and why it the correct one as opposed to following the letter of the law.
                            Hey, if you're fine with a dad, on Kid's weekend, teaching the kid that breaking the law is ok, then, you are part of the problem. Do you trespass on a neighbor's land to dispatch a wounded deer?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              Best money I ever spent on my kids hunting Stuff!
                              Kids? Mine, I’ll be dropping a tripod off at each stand in the next couple of weeks.

Originally posted by Dusty8186 View Post
                              We're headed straight from his round 1 playoff football game. I may have pulled some strings to get us the early game.
                              Man we finished with youth football last year, God Bless the 7th grade and Monday football. We always had a good team and played well into November, I think I was the only one praying we wouldn’t make the playoffs or lose the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                                Hey, if you're fine with a dad, on Kid's weekend, teaching the kid that breaking the law is ok, then, you are part of the problem. Do you trespass on a neighbor's land to dispatch a wounded deer?
                                Of course not- I'd find the landowner and ask permission. We're taking about one specific situation where I'm teaching my child that ethically, we have an obligation to end the animal's suffering if we can. It's a teachable moment either way, I just lean toward killing the animal as opposed to having one suffer and die a horrible death.
                                I'm not telling him to go do heroin and murder folks- all laws aren't created equal- you ever gone over the speed limit with a kid in the car? That's breaking the law and setting an example, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X