To build or to buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To build or to buy...

I have been battling with myself for a while now and I need the GS vast knowledge and experience in making this decision.

I need a new blind, plain and simple. I want said blind to be big enough to host 2 - 3 people with a hunter still being able to draw a bow unhindered. I have looked at pretty much ALL manufactured blinds and the cost for 99.9% of them is too rich for my blood and if the blind WAS in my price range, it wasn't capable of holding my people requirement.

If I were to build a blind there is the time factor associated with it. I know that I can get the materials for ~$500 but then when you include buying windows and doors, that price goes up and possibly doubles.. The time is the big thing, there just isn't a whole lot of time to accomplish the build.

I weighing the pros and cons of each. My budget is ~$1200 to either build or buy (including some semblance of a stand). If there is anyone on here that could maybe help me punch some holes in either argument, I would be greatly appreciated. I am running out of time either way and need to get this nipped in the bud. Thanks in advance for advice, comments, or insults!

Id build it, do a nice 5 x 8, should be in your budget. But like you said, time is a big factor at this point.

Comment

If you use quality materials you can come in well under your budget, and have a stand that could last you 15 to 20 years. With the occasional repainting.

Don’t have too much work left on this one. Couple more vertical windows going in it as well.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by JLivi1224; 07-30-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

It’s 6x8

Comment

Do you have the tools and ability to build it out of steel?
          Im working on this right now and Ill be somewhere in the $1200-$1400 range when its done.
          Metal frame, mossy oak sheet metal walls and roof, framed hinge windows, rv style door. Insulation and carpet to the bottom of the windows
          https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=775827

Comment

Build it if you’re a DIY person. We started making them out of fiberglass. Easy especially with YouTube.

Comment

Build it for sure.

Comment

I would build for sure, if you have time and ability, MUCH cheaper. I would not buy premade door and windows, just make those. IMO see thru windows are not needed, just boards on hinges, door is easy to make. If you have to have see thru windows, cut the hole in hinge up window and use a piece of plexiglass

Comment

I agree with others i would make it. I disagree about not needing see thru windows tho. If its a cold and Windy morning i may just open the one directly in front of me and leave the others closed to block the wind and keep the heat from the heater in. But yet i can still see thru them. i made all my own window with plexiglass and cheap hardware hinges. Not a perfect seal but they keep the wasp and wind out. I set them in about 2" since i trim all my window with a 2x2 so this gives you a ledge and frame for the window to mount on and seal off against.

I dont get as fancy as some of the guys on here simply because i dont have the time to make them perfect. To busy with other things.

Comment

I’ve built 5 of these boxes. 6x6 on an 8 foot base. Deerview windows and doors.

I figured for every blind + base I bought I could build 4 of these for the same cost. Easy decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d find a local carpenter and tell him what you want and what you’re willing to spend. Wouldn’t even have to pick up a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

I’ve built 5 of these boxes. 6x6 on an 8 foot base. Deerview windows and doors.

I figured for every blind + base I bought I could build 4 of these for the same cost. Easy decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Nice work, where did you purchase the Deerview windows and doors?

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                          Nice work, where did you purchase the Deerview windows and doors?
                          I got them straight from Deerview

Comment

Weight is the biggest difference, but you can build a nice blind for $1200 BUT it will be heavy!

Comment

Working...
                            X