The adventure begins. Blind build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The adventure begins. Blind build

Going to build a 6x6 rifle blind. 1" 14ga square tubing frame. It will be on a 8 foot tower. I am a novice when it comes to welding so not sure how it will turn out. As they say the turtle only makes progress when he sticks his neck out. This will be built in 4 sections so I can lift one section/side up bolt it down then lift up the next bolt it down and to the 1st. I will most likely be putting it on the tower by myself so this is the best way I think to do it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have the frame squared up clamped down level, corners cleaned and ready to stick it together.
    Attached Files

Looking forward to updates. Good luck and remember, measure twice, cut once!

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

following...

Comment

Made some progress today. Got the frame welded. Not pretty but they awill hold I think. Mocked up the window openings. Was going to buy deerview windows. I thought 25.00 a window wasn't that bad although more than I wanted to pay. After I added them to my cart shipping was another 20.00 dollars. I guess I will build my own.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
            Made some progress today. Got the frame welded. Not pretty but they awill hold I think. Mocked up the window openings. Was going to buy deerview windows. I thought 25.00 a window wasn't that bad although more than I wanted to pay. After I added them to my cart shipping was another 20.00 dollars. I guess I will build my own.

We offer a TBH discount if you call our office.

Comment

also following.

Comment

Get the deerview windows you won't regret it!

I am planning on another build this offseason and will probably be getting one of their doors as well.

Comment

Are you running flux core ??

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                    Are you running flux core ??
                    .030 Flux core.

Comment

I got most of my windows made. Framed up the door and ply the plywood on the inside. part. Next week I will get the blue foam insulation and glue it to the ply wood, them R-panel for the out side.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Gonna be heavy duty!! Looks good so far!

Comment

I have a question for the welders on here. My blind build will be in 4 sections and a roof. The blind will be transported to the site then each wall will be put up and bolted together. My problem is when the panels are fitted together I will not have access to the bolt head as it will be covered with insulation & R-panel I could cut an access hole to the blot hole and use a extension on a ratchet to tighten the bolt, or I was thinking of welding the bolt on then just slip the other panel on to the bolt and tighten. What do you guys think.
                          Attached Files

Comment

weld nut on back of one of the clips and bolt it from the other side...thats one of the issues with skinning interior. It appears the tab from one side would be exposed to the adjacent tab, thus allowing a nut to be welded and skinned over or at least up to the tab.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                              weld nut on back of one of the clips and bolt it from the other side...thats one of the issues with skinning interior. It appears the tab from one side would be exposed to the adjacent tab, thus allowing a nut to be welded and skinned over or at least up to the tab.
                              I second the above, weld a nut on the back of one of the tabs.

*** a quick tip, thread a bolt through the nut when you weld the nut to the tab. That way if you get the nut too hot it wont mess up the thread. Once the nut cools remove the bolt. That or after you weld the nut on you can re-thread the nut. This will save you from some serious aggravation when assembling in the field. Don't ask me how I know!

Comment

Working...
                              X