Kansas during Thanksgiving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas during Thanksgiving?

Have a few days off coming up and was thinking about making a return trip to Kansas. Was seeing if anyone knew how the deer movement/rut was during that time. Weather looks to be pretty decent with some cold mornings. We usually take our trip earlier in November so just wasn't sure if the rut would still be going on or not. Trying to decide between the lease or heading north!

Thanks

Usually see some “non-resident” bucks that time of year…..I’d go back to KS in a heartbeat!

Comment

Best time to hunt is when you can.
      You might find some bucks still with does and/or find them on the food.

Comment

Thanks guys. Got a couple tags burning a hole in my pocket! Dad got a good one a few weeks ago and still has a doe tag. So trying to decide between a 4 hour drive or 10 hour drive! Just wasn't sure how good they would be moving this late in the rut

Comment

A lot of big deer are killed Thanksgiving week. Coming out of lockdown and back cruising.

It all boils down to being at the right place at the right time.

Comment

Congrats on a heck of a week with your boy Heith! Was with my Dad when he may have shot his biggest deer a few weeks ago up there and had some chances at mine. Put a rough score on him and will do a better one when we get him back.

Comment

Can’t kill them from home

Comment

Current behavior/patterns depend a little on what part of the state. What we've experienced in SW KS is textbook because there is not a lot of human activity. So you always have to factor that in too. With that said, you should find one of two patterns. Either bucks are hard on local food sources, and/or bucks are moving hard on a strong secondary rut. It won't take you long to figure it out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Appreciate the info guys and we definitely won't be home...even though we probably should be! Lol either be in the panhandle or a little farther north.

Comment

I just got back today and wish I could've stayed through the week. I only had 2.5 days.

Buddy took a 150" 10 pt sat. I had a booner at 65 yds last night but running does and no shot. Had two 2 yo bucks chasing this morning and then a 130s 8 pt cruise through on a mission about 10 am.

And several good bucks seen today on the way home in KS and OK. One was in town in Madill OK. A for sure Bruiser!

So.... yes, I'd go back if I were you!

Comment

Ruts running late you should be good.

Comment

Go!

Comment

Go, Go, Go!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well looks like we will be headed out tomorrow around lunch. Fingers crossed and glad dad's making the trip with me again just to try and fill his doe tag.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                              Congrats on a heck of a week with your boy Heith! Was with my Dad when he may have shot his biggest deer a few weeks ago up there and had some chances at mine. Put a rough score on him and will do a better one when we get him back.
                              Thank you!!!!

Good luck to y’all. I think y’all should hitting it just right.

Comment

Working...
                              X