Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many pounds of boneless meat from average doe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
    My does usually weigh 110-120 and I get about 45-50 pounds of meat. You probably couldn't get another pound out of what was left on the bones.
    No way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish I would get north of 30# on all the Tx deer I’ve shot. I’ve weighed deboned clean meat so I can add right spices and fat for sausage. 20-25 on a doe and that’s grinding the straps, tenders, and neck.

Comment

Fully trimmed out (meticulously) and ready to grind, I get between 25% and 30% of live weight for most of my deer, doe or buck. I get as much neck meat as I can and usually flanks off the ribcage, but I don't trim out the ribs themselves.

My most recent buck was 166# live weight and yielded 43# of meat ready for the grind or the grill. I got very little neck meat in this case, as I was doing a shoulder mount and left the head and neck caping to my taxidermist.

Comment

I just finished boning out a 108# 6.5 year old doe I shot on Saturday. She was big but the bucks had been running some weight off of her. Got all the meat off the bones and trimmed of silver skin and fat.

Here's what I ended up with:

Hindquarters 22.3#
          Backstrap/tenderloin 8.7#
          Neck/rib trimmings 7.9#
          Front quarters 10.4#
          Total...............49.3#

Comment

how many clean out the rib meat and flank meat for grinding? Im about to butcher my first deer this weekend. Ive seen some make neck roasts, but i think im just gonna grind the necks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Roads View Post
              I just boned out my 120# doe and final cleaned meat weight was 20#.
              You must have not weighed the loins with that. That counts as deboned meat as well

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                how many clean out the rib meat and flank meat for grinding? Im about to butcher my first deer this weekend. Ive seen some make neck roasts, but i think im just gonna grind the necks.
                I take the flank and brisket which stays attached to the shoulder when I take it off of the carcass. The only thing I don't do is take the little bit of meat from between the ribs.

Why do people call the shoulders "front shoulders"? There's no back shoulders

Comment

I just finished boning out a 108# 6.5 year old doe I shot on Saturday. She was big but the bucks had been running some weight off of her. Got all the meat off the bones and trimmed of silver skin and fat.

Here's what I ended up with:

Hindquarters 22.3#
                  Backstrap/tenderloin 8.7#
                  Neck/rib trimmings 7.9#
                  Front quarters 10.4#
                  Total...............49.3#
                  Was that 108# live weight or field dressed?

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                    Was that 108# live weight or field dressed?
                    Live weight. She was lung shot so there was very little waste and no bloodshot shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                      You must have not weighed the loins with that. That counts as deboned meat as well
                      You're right, that was only the meat going to my processor for pan sausage, ended up with 58 #`s.

Comment

Neck roasts are awesome cubed up for stew or chili. Don't remove silver skin, it renders down into gelatin and leaves the meat tender and moist.

Comment

I cut off all the flank meat but rarely cut out the meat between the ribs. When I do, I cut so the strips between the ribs stay attached to the flank and get ground with the rest.

I also skin the neck all the way to the head and the legs past the shanks. It all adds up to more ground meat.

Comment

Just finished butchering my first. Didnt weigh her before, but was just avg size doe. Ended up with 25lbs of meat (16 ground, 9 of steaks/backs/tenders). That was tossing most of the front shoulders as thats where wife hit her. As this was my first, and was doing my butchering via youtube vids....how much does it matter leaving some of the silverskin looking stuff from the shanks and stuff in the ground pile?

Comment

Just finished butchering my first. Didnt weigh her before, but was just avg size doe. Ended up with 25lbs of meat (16 ground, 9 of steaks/backs/tenders). That was tossing most of the front shoulders as thats where wife hit her. As this was my first, and was doing my butchering via youtube vids....how much does it matter leaving some of the silverskin looking stuff from the shanks and stuff in the ground pile?
                              It won't matter at all and you will never know it's in the ground. Just cut out any big tendons.

Comment

It won't matter at all and you will never know it's in the ground. Just cut out any big tendons.
                                Yeah....I am gonna disagree with you on that, but I have a picky family. When I process my own, and I cut out all the silver, tendons, fat, etc, the whole family loves it. When I have got the deer processed where I know it does not recieve the same attention, they complain about it tasting "gamey". In tacos or chilli it's not a prob but ground meat it's not as good as if you take the time to be picky. Just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X